Old hang on window a/c maintenance......

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a hang on the window a/c unit that is on my bedroom window.It's been here since I bought the house.It seems to be working good.Is there anything to clean,lube,etc? I can't find a brand or model no.I'm guessing it's at least 15 years old or so. Thank.

Take it out, pull the outer cover and get cleaning.

Outside with a hose and Dawn would be suitable

Don't be too strong with the hose, don't wanna bend any fins, but flush plenty of soap and water through all the coils on both ends, theyre probably mighty dusty.

Are they pretty heavy? I don't want to start and find out that it's too heavy on one side and the unit falls out the window.lol

Yes go to home depot and buy the ac safe brand condensor cleaner in the spray can. Its like 6 bucks and got great reviews. A clean condensor can yield cooler ac temps and lower system pressure

I'm not a pro on these units as everyone has central AC around here, but arn't the really old units like this highly inefficient? Wont you save a ton of money upgrading to a new unit? They arnt that expensive and the savings should pay for they unit within a short amount of time.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
Are they pretty heavy? I don't want to start and find out that it's too heavy on one side and the unit falls out the window.lol

They're not that heavy, but if you can't figure out how to get it out of the window without dropping it on the ground you're best leaving it as is and not worry about. After all, you said it works fine.

There is a hang on the window a/c unit that is on my bedroom window.It's been here since I bought the house.It seems to be working good.Is there anything to clean,lube,etc? I can't find a brand or model no.I'm guessing it's at least 15 years old or so. Thank.

These get very nasty, huge mold growths and such. Clean regularly.

And they can be surprisingly efficient. Many years ago we had 4 small ones and one big guy in the LR. Only ran them as needed, they worked well...

It depends on how old and how big it is. In my first house, we had one in the living room that literally took two men to move. It was a monster. The one I just installed in my daughters house was so light, I could hold it with one hand.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I thought they stopped making those things years ago. Please take some pics of it and post them here!

Just bought one for my Daughter's efficiency apartment. Under 200 bucks and very efficient.

They are at Lowes and most other stores, hardly rare or anything...

I just had to clean one out this past week, there was a very small drain hole that got plugged up with a piece of plastic from a window shade. Nasty inside there...

I should see what clearance sales has. We have a small one that must be at least 15 years old. Still works though. What would go a long ways though is figuring out insulation around the ac unit, I bet tons of heat goes through those bellows.

Originally Posted By: hatt
They should be going on clearance soon. Be a good time to replace a very old one.

If you time it right, they literally give them away. I bought an 8K portable at Target for $42.00 at the end of the season about 3 years ago. Even though we have central A/C, I keep it as a backup for the bedroom should the central go out. Keeps Mrs. Tdbo from acting gnarly and saves me the headache from such acting.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo

If you time it right, they literally give them away. I bought an 8K portable at Target for $42.00 at the end of the season about 3 years ago. Even though we have central A/C, I keep it as a backup for the bedroom should the central go out. Keeps Mrs. Tdbo from acting gnarly and saves me the headache from such acting.

Sam's had them at a huge discount a couple years ago. Last year not so much. I was just at Sam's and they had a nice inventory so hopefully they'll let em go for cheap. I'm thinking about getting one for the sunroom.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I thought they stopped making those things years ago. Please take some pics of it and post them here!

Just bought one for my Daughter's efficiency apartment. Under 200 bucks and very efficient.

Got a link? I only see regular window AC units, not the type where the compressor part is outside and the blower is inside...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Got a link? I only see regular window AC units, not the type where the compressor part is outside and the blower is inside...

I was speaking of a "window shaker" style all in one unit. I believe the OP was, too...

We have one that does the whole house, we just put it in the window in upstairs hallway. It won't get the house down to 67F, but it will maintain a nice 77F while cutting the humidity. Many central units are so over sized that they don't run long enough to dehumidify properly.

Finally got the brand,model. It's made by Gibson appliance corporation.,model AM08B6EJBA. Cooling B.T.U./HR. AHAM? 7,800.Refrigerant:22. Cooling E.E.R. 8.7. Made in 6/79

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back