Old GC Green

Status
Not open for further replies.
Three years ago, I found a few quarts of old GC Green, made in 2002, sitting on a shelf in a local Auto Parts Store. At that time, I offered the manager to "take it off his hands" for $3.00 a quart, but he wanted over $6.50 so I said, "Thanks, but no thanks".

Well today, I had to stop off at the same Auto Parts Store, for another reason, and while there, I said to myself, "I wonder if that oil is still on the shelf"? Sure enough, it was still there, each bottle covered in a thick layer of dust. The manager was not there so I could not make him another offer.

If you want it so bad, why not pay the retail price?

You don't bargain with the manager on anything else you buy there, right?

Last edited:
I wish I could still find some green GC around here. I think I bought the last 4 bottles in a little hick town in the surrounding area. There is another small town thats a bit farther away that I may check out sometime here in the near future.

I still have 5 quarts of the old Green and about 3x of the Gold.

I don't know why, but I'm hesitant to use Green...maybe because then I won't have anymore.

I don't get what good two quarts are going to do you. I just put my last five quarts in the crankcase of my Chrysler LH. As I remember, when Gold arrived there was a hoopla until the UOA's came out just as good as green. As I need to top off, I will add some M1 or PP and not loose any sleep. Between AA coupons and rebates, I have been paying about $1 a quart for synthetic. Why pay 3X or 6X as much???

I need one quart of M04 for my stash of 14q. The car I want to use it in takes 5q a pop. Maybe I'll just buy a single quart of Gold when I need it.

How do you know if it's green GC?

I went to Pepboys today and I was surprised to see 0w-30 in red. So I looked on the back and it said made in Germany. The front looked different than my gold GC bottle I recently bought from Autozone.

So I put it back on the shelf and looked around for other stuff. Could it have been Green GC? I'm tempted to go back.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SpiderX1016
How do you know if it's green GC?

I went to Pepboys today and I was surprised to see 0w-30 in red. So I looked on the back and it said made in Germany. The front looked different than my gold GC bottle I recently bought from Autozone.

So I put it back on the shelf and looked around for other stuff. Could it have been Green GC? I'm tempted to go back.

As AJ indicated, you have to rely upon the date codes.

It is encouraging to see that there's another source for GC other than AZ. Of course, it's Pepboyz... I first saw it there several months ago. Probably had been there longer -- I have not been looking. Coincidentally, I was in our local PB yesterday, and eyeballed some of their GC stock. All had M09 batch numbers, so most definitely NOT green GC. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back