Old fuel cause lower mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuel in my car is about two months old. On a trip today, I noticed about 3mpg lower than the last trip over the same route. Would older fuel contribute to this loss? The fuel is 93 octane shell in my 95 BMW 525i with no fuel stabilizer additives. Hope this is the appropiate area for this question.

How were wind conditions? Were the tires at the exact psi they were on the last trip? Did you drive any faster, slower, different traffic conditions? How about the weather? Just a few questions. Two month old fuel isn't that old. My point is odds are something else impacted the mpg.

Perfectly normal; two months old = Jan 11 at the pump = up to as early as November 11 out of the refinery.

You are deeply and clearly into Winter Fuel Formulation territory in any area where overnight lows can go below freezing in your oil market (there are 11 in North America, the fuel market is more than one State in total area).

Winter fuel is more volatile to avoid cold start issues; the volatile compounds have less energy (BTUs) and get poorer mileage compared to summer formula.

Although two month old fuel "isn't that old", it is old from a fuel market perspective ... utilizing all available gasoline storage facilities in North America, including the strategic reserves, we can store gas for a maximum of three months from the refinery input (pumped perhaps a week earlier, at most, out of the ground) to retail delivery, and it's very rarely that old. That's why retail gasoline prices vary on what amounts to a day-to-day basis.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Perfectly normal; two months old = Jan 11 at the pump = up to as early as November 11 out of the refinery.

You are deeply and clearly into Winter Fuel Formulation territory in any area where overnight lows can go below freezing in your oil market (there are 11 in North America, the fuel market is more than one State in total area).

Winter fuel is more volatile to avoid cold start issues; the volatile compounds have less energy (BTUs) and get poorer mileage compared to summer formula.

Although two month old fuel "isn't that old", it is old from a fuel market perspective ... utilizing all available gasoline storage facilities in North America, including the strategic reserves, we can store gas for a maximum of three months from the refinery input (pumped perhaps a week earlier, at most, out of the ground) to retail delivery, and it's very rarely that old. That's why retail gasoline prices vary on what amounts to a day-to-day basis.

Thank you. I forgot about winter fuels.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
How were wind conditions? Were the tires at the exact psi they were on the last trip? Did you drive any faster, slower, different traffic conditions? How about the weather? Just a few questions. Two month old fuel isn't that old. My point is odds are something else impacted the mpg.
I know all those variables. if anything tp was higher since they were set when the weather was cold and today was close to 70 degrees. This used to be my commute route to work for 10 years with same care so I was aware of my averages. As another poster stated. It may just be winter fuel.

Two month old fuel = haven't driven car in two months = haven't checked tire pressure in two months, right?

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Two month old fuel = haven't driven car in two months = haven't checked tire pressure in two months, right?

Correct.Last checked tp when colder. TP should be higher now that it is 30 degrees warmer. That said, I will check.
smile.gif

Are you sure you're not running winter fuel now? Typically summer fuel comes out around Memorial Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back