Old Formula Amsoil ATF vs. New Formula Amsoil ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not including the new ATL.

What are the differences between the old formula ATF and the new formula ATF? I am talking about the ATF that was just replaced. I have some of the ATF in the clear bottles from a couple months back, but am curious on if it is as good.

Main diff in specs is the viscosity. Old formula data can be found here via the wayback machine. 100C cSt was 6.8 versus current formulation of a 100C cSt of 7.6

Originally Posted By: rumple
Main diff in specs is the viscosity. Old formula data can be found here via the wayback machine. 100C cSt was 6.8 versus current formulation of a 100C cSt of 7.6

That is what I was searching for. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: hate2work
Originally Posted By: Cooper
Does the older formula appear to be the better of the two?

Tell us what you mean by "better".

not worse

No. If anything the new is better - depending on the application of course, but certainly for vehicles needing the slightly higher viscosity and no shearing the new ATF is better. The additive package is not greatly changed.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

No. If anything the new is better - depending on the application of course, but certainly for vehicles needing the slightly higher viscosity and no shearing the new ATF is better. The additive package is not greatly changed.

I agree with Pablo. Amsoil wouldn't make a change unless they were able to tweak their formulation for better performance which they do a lot.

Again it may be better or worse depening on your application. Only a real world scenario will tell for sure! Knowing Amsoil it will be better for you
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Tell us what you mean by "better".

not worse

OK, using that definition I would have to say the new formula is better.
grin2.gif

Seriously, very doubtful that they would weaken or cheapen the makeup of one of their most popular items, if that's what you're driving at. You can compare the specs and see for yourself, but really all they did was to create two excellent fluids with diff viscosities to better fill the needs of their customers.

.....and satisfy the state of CA's labeling requirements. I think it was an ineveitable change and that the CA incident just pushed it forward a bit, I mean the change to two different viscosities.

No, they were working on the 'split' of the universal ATF prior to the CA labeling requirements. And, they even take 'requests' seriously. Big brother Amsoil is watching you here. Now only if other boutique blenders would pay attention here???

Its great that they offer the MPG thin ATF alongside their thicker ATF. It silences all the crybabies with their "its 1/3 of a cst too thick"..... complaints.

Still waiting for a 75w85 GL4 gear oils for my MT, a 75w85 GL5 for my 'ends, a ~7cst GL4 MTF for manuals requiring ATF, a CVTF, a .........

Amsoil, Redline, RoyalPurple, ,.... time to add some more choices as automakers continue to create silly exclusive fluids.

I can only make so many requests to the boutique companies. My ISP 'only' allows 500 emails an hr before cutting me off for 'spam'. Get on your favorite forums and get members out their to make requests for the spec you need or want.

Trust me, they do listen. Where did you think MTF/MTG/PSF/ATL/ATF..... came from??? YOU!!

If you saw what Redline and Amsoil's product line looked like a decade ago, and compare to what they have now, you can see that they are always up to something.

out of the bottle the new seemed to be much thicker than the old and I think in my honda the new shifts smoother and a little slower than the old. I like the way the new feels a little better I think, at least in this car. I will probably change the atf again the next time I change my oil to get a higher percentage of the new in there. The auto parts store where I buy all my stuff dident really appriciate me digging to the back of their atf on the shelf past all of the old clear bottles to get the new, and they really dident seem to like that I told someone else at the counter who was also buying the amsoil atf that the ones in the silver bottle were a new formulation! I wounder if the new will still be out on the shelf next time I go there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back