Old Forester 100 Proof tasting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite nice, especially for $21/750mL @ Meijer. I'm not a fancy-schmancy "taster" who comes up with a bunch of bullhockey to sell liquor. It's got an extremely smooth, sweet aroma that makes you yearn for a nice warm fireplace on a cold winter evening. Just a hint of alcohol burn on the nose; nothing like Wild Turkey 101, which you can definitely smell the alcohol in it, even though only a single 0.5% alcohol separate the two. The flavor is buttery smooth when in your mouth, and after swallowed gets nice and peppery near the tip of your tongue. Dropping a single ice cube or using an artisanal cube allows the flavor to change slightly as you enjoy the glass, and slightly dampens the spice and tingle on your tongue. For $20 it's probably one of the best bets you can make. I've also sinned in the eyes of my uncle (a bourbon "snob", even though he's from Tennessee
lol.gif
), and previously mixed it with Coke and also made Manhattans with it. Although these days I'm more inclined to enjoy a bourbon neat or with a single cube, Old Forester consistently delivers, no matter what kind of drink I've invited it to improve. Definitely something you should try if you like bourbon and only want to drop a $20 for a weekend worth of enjoyment!

Working with most of the biggest distillery brands in Kentucky Bourbon has allowed me the privilege to taste a good many whiskeys and bourbons I may never be able to purchase on my own, Old Forester 100 proof along with the 1870 are quite good, especially for the money ($21 for 100 proof, $36 for 1870 blend). I'd probably put them in the top 5-6 bourbons I've tasted, behind:

William Larue Weller, 118.7 proof
Elijah Craig 23 year
Maker's Mark Barrel Proof
Russell's Reserve Single Barrel (tie)
Col. E.H. Taylor Barrel Proof (tie)

It's amazing the array of flavors and aromas one can achieve with corn, rye, sugar, oak, and Mother Nature. God Bless America!
smile.gif

I'll have to try this, especially at $20!

I under estimated Wild Turkey 101, but it's good. Wild Turkey American Honey is some dangerous stuff though. Goes down smooth... entirely too smooth. Do NOT drink it while push mowing the yard...
04.gif
on the other hand, that was the best time I ever had mowing the yard!

Heavens, an actual, detailed report using real words. It was refreshing to read.

With SubieRuby in the OP's name It's not surprising he gravitates towards a liquor named "Old Forester".

Old Forester's claim to fame is being the first bourbon sold in a bottle. The brand is owned by Brown-Foreman, the same company that owns Jack Daniel. The company also owns its own cooperage. I like OF as well. The most I will pay for bourbon is $50 and now that Booker's has risen above that price point I generally shop in the $20-40 range.

The one thing to remember about Booker's is that it is ALWAYS barrel-proof, a significant distinction from most bourbons where barrel-proof is the exception rather than the norm. When considering "bang" for the buck, barrel proof is usually a better bet, since you can always cut it down to an enjoyable strength.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
The one thing to remember about Booker's is that it is ALWAYS barrel-proof, a significant distinction from most bourbons where barrel-proof is the exception rather than the norm. When considering "bang" for the buck, barrel proof is usually a better bet, since you can always cut it down to an enjoyable strength.
smile.gif

That is one of the reasons Booker's is my favorite. I don't cut it down with water, either. But, it was a super good deal at $40. It's not quite as much of a bargain at $60+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back