Old electrical panel

I came across this electrical panel in the FIL’s electrical panel of his condo. The kitchen lower wall sockets were on the same breaker as the kitchen counter sockets and the living room lower wall sockets. What’s with the metal brackets? Just wondering about this. The upper most breaker popped when an air conditioner and microwave were both running. No one knew they were on the same 15 amp breaker.

ADC07B00-6E65-41E2-AE74-6A8D442E25E8.jpeg

Last edited:
Those are "half height" breakers meant to add capacity to a box that's running out of room. Though it seems like the condo builder was cheap and didn't leave room for expansion.

Only the range in this picture needs the tied-together breakers to make 220. Not sure what wonders lie in the 110 breakers, could be outlets wired as a multi-wire-branch-circuit or other voodoo. Tread carefully.

I am confused - how does the half height breaker attach to both hot legs - is the bus bar not an interlaced saw tooth thing?

If I bought a house with something other than Square D, Cutler-Hammer (Eaton) or GE breakers I’d replace them. Everything else is “suspect” in my opinion.

I believe you have multi-wire branch circuits. The handles are tied together because current flows back through the neutral wire so the handle tie ensures that all hot wires are disconnected when you throw the handle. Otherwise if you didn’t have that handle you could be working on a circuit unknowingly with a live neutral. I believe multi-wire branch circuits aren’t allowed in residential but they still use them often in commercial settings.

Is that Chinese written on the labels below the breakers, or really bad handwriting?

The AC on the same circuit as the microwave? I have a feeling this condo was wired by Jim Bobs fishing tackle and electric.

Last edited:
Back