Old Detroit diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing at least to me runs or sounds like a old Detroit!
smile.gif

https://youtu.be/EehtyZIe1OE

Those old 2-strokes sure had a very distinct sound. All our city busses used to be GMC's with 2-strokes in them. Sounded like they were doing 200Mph while barely doing 30. There was a Link-Belt excavator at a local abandoned mine that had a DD 2-stroke in it, but somebody had raped the supercharger off of it. Was pretty cool.

We always joked that the Detroit diesel engines turned diesel fuel into smoke and noise. I remember stirring through the gears going to fires and setting off car alarms on every block.

The 92 series were great but I have put too many miles in freight companies tractors doing San Francisco to Los Angles area turn arounds to have any like as to the 2 stroke Detroit sounds. When you got a Cummins engine is was like heaven,

I've been in construction for 34 years, have never liked working around the Detroit Diesels because of all the racket. I have 3 Terex TS-14's running around a jobsite right now, that's six Detroit Diesels making a ruckus!

I work at BNA (Nashville International Airport). From time to time, the airport fire dept. guys go tearing all over creation in their specialized fire trucks. They don't sound like they have mufflers! And they sound very distinct - unlike any 18-wheeler diesel engine I've ever heard. Very loud.

I've heard that 2-stroke diesels aren't used in trucks anymore (I know that trains and ships still use them).

For a time in the Bay Area, fire trucks and buses had a Detroit 6V-92 in them. I miss the sound of those, especially when they accelerate from a stop and you hear the blower whine and the sound of the 1-2 upshifts from the Allison HT7xx tranny. The Series 60 doesn't sound half bad either - but I don't care much for the Cummins sound, even in a brodozer. It sounds too much like a school bus, the newest hybrid buses with Cummins ISLs and BAE Systems hybrid drives in SF sound like an angry Prius.

This doesn't do the sound justice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DNeFQqafJc

I've been a fan of Detroit Diesel 2 strokes as long as I can remember. A revolutionary design really. A modular engine system 60+ years ago. A cylinder head from a 6-71 fits either bank of a 12v71 liner kits interchangeable across the entire 53, 71, 92, 149 series. Combining blocks to make 16 and 20 cylinder engines. Incredibly reliable unit injectors. Significantly less expensive to overhaul than the competition especially compared to a CAT.

I own a 4-53T but would love to collect more and put them to work.

I'd really love to buy a new semi as a glider kit and install a 12v71 or a 12v92, heck I'd even settle for an 8v92 Silver in marine trim.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
I work at BNA (Nashville International Airport). From time to time, the airport fire dept. guys go tearing all over creation in their specialized fire trucks. They don't sound like they have mufflers! And they sound very distinct - unlike any 18-wheeler diesel engine I've ever heard. Very loud.

I've heard that 2-stroke diesels aren't used in trucks anymore (I know that trains and ships still use them).

The intake noise is as severe as the exhaust.

I've been surrounded by Detroit power my entire military career, the bus that took me from the hotel to ship out for basic training had a Detroit and a stick shift. Our aircraft power carts for the P-3/8 the NC-10 are wither Silver 4-71TAB or 6-71N powered, the NC-8 self driving power cart had a 4-53N, airport fire trucks with 8V92 Silver , standby 16V149TIB generators. They just seem to follow me around. I absolutely love the sound of a 6-71N or 8-71N with the rack wide open pulling on a load. They just sound wicked, like nothing else really.

I grew up around Detroit's and have spent many hours around 12V71's, 8V92's and 4-53's. I bought a 4-53T eight years ago and finally found a home for it in my 2009 Ford F350. I've been hand building a flywheel housing and crank adapter to mate it with the Ford 5R110. I'm one day away from completing the crank adapter that's made from 4340 alloy steel and then it's testing time with the transmission bolted up. It with soon be making music on the streets once again.:) Here's some photos.:

IMG_5345.JPG

IMG_5622.JPG

IMG_5625.JPG

IMG_5808.JPG

IMG_5624.JPG

IMG_5668.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back