Old auto parts: what do you do with them?

At my work, if they are warranty we tag them and hold onto them. If over certain mileage; me and one of the other mechanics take them to scrap yard. We had a fat, lazy homeless looking dumpster fire of a “person” that always looked for catalytic converters and batteries. I started keeping a baseball bat under my 20+ year old craftsman toolbox as some were warranty. He hasn’t been back in a while since he got busted for not having a PA drivers license 🤣🤣🤣

When I've got enough to make it worth someone's while, I put a cardboard box of scrap metal out beside the garbage and recycling bins in the back lane. It always disappears - the scrap metal folks typically come around the day before garbage day.

Just put one out yesterday - had a broken power window motor and regulator assembly, an old tie-rod end, an old frying pan, some used aluminum pie plates, some bike cables, a damaged gas filler door, a broken spare tire winch assembly, and so on.

I do this perhaps four to six times a year. Better than seeing it go to the landfill, and my stuff alone is never worth the trip to a scrap metal yard.

When I got $30 for a 5hp19 with a bad reverse drum I felt like I won the lottery. Or maybe it was just the endorphins after lifting the 190# unit out of my trunk :)

We just throw most of the stuff in our “metal dumpster”.

We used to have a metal scrap guy come around and take our condensers and brake rotors away, but it just wasn’t worth leaving this stuff around so some guy could come and take it. Converters are different...we‘ll sell that stuff, but even then it’s not like we are doing a lot of converters.

Back