Old and New

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have beem reading different forums on oil to use in my 540i sport and M5. The 2001 M5 is not clear but I did use M1 15W50 had no issues, of course I do not race or hot rod it around and change my oil once a year since I do not put that many miles on it. I recently changes to LubriMoly 10w60 purchasing it from Bavian Auto. No perceptable performance difference. However on my 540i (1997,217,000 miles) I have used M1 HM 10w40 and 0w40 the later leaking out on my driveway. After reading my OM it recommends API SG rated oils multigrades. So I have to belive that even with the new GF5 API SN coventional oils they have to be significantly better than anything available in 1997. I plan to go a dino HM 10W40 on my next change (every 3000 miles).

The 15w50 m1 is a nice choice but overkill for any nicely driven m5, I would stick with m1 0w40 in it, but if you liked the 15w50 more, then by all means keep using it in the M5 it is great.

In the 540i, if it is leaking or burning a lot, give Maxlife 10w40 a shot for 2 OCI's, it has cured many problems for members of this forum, myself included. Or you can just do what ever 10w40 dino is cheapest at that interval, they are all ahead of SG by a long shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea using a 0w-40 synthetic must have caused the leaks on such a high mileage engine. Especially a car most likely seeing dino its whole life.

I am in the same boat, I have a 1990 Jetta GLI 2.0 16v with 300,000 miles and my engine likes the thicker oil due to age and the way it was built.

maybe try the 15w50 in the 540i??? I would probably stay away from the 0w-40 in an older car like that, but Mobil 1 10w-30 HM would be good since its still SL and has some of the anti wear additives still in the oil compared to 10w-40 HM.

Just an idea, I am still new and not a BMW guy.

Thanks for the response. The car has been meticulosly serviced. I pulled the valve cover off and there was no sludge and it was extrememly clean. I have always changed the oil and filter in all my vehicles every 3000 miles regardless of what the mfg recommends. Not to give away my age but I grew up in the muscle car days and had a few myself. In those days an engine was worn out after 60,000 miles. The refining process for crudes has continued to improve to where todays lubricants can contribute to a very long engine life. The 540 V8 does not burn any oil and the engine is very strong.

What year is the 540i?

FWIW, since yours is an '01, all you need is an LL-01 oil for the M5. I'm using M1 0w40 in mine. I do find I have a few leaks too, but being under the car, it appears to have been seeping a bit for quite some time, so I cannot blame it on the oil.

My old four cylinder BMW does very well on M1 15W-50.
Consumption on the M1 was a little less than a quart in 2K, while it's already used nearly a quart in a little less than 1400 miles on Maxlife SB 10W-40.
Fuel consumption is about the same with either oil.
I'd personally go with M1 15W-50 on a leaking/burning BMW.
As Overkill has noted with his M5, most BMWs tend to burn and leak oil as they age.
You could use dino in the old 540, but if I were going to buy off the shelf oil for it, I'd probably pay the premium for M1 15W-50.
If I didn't have a stash to use, and had to buy oil for each change, I'd use M1 15W-50 in mine all of the time.
The car is not winter driven, so it would be okay.
It would be okay in most of Texas all of the time.
The last run of this oil came from my stash, bought on clearance.
I wish I had bought more of it, and I wish I hadn't wasted fourteen quarts of it in the Hondas.

The 540 is a 1997. I have about 3 oil changes in the M1 15w50 I can use on it next oil change. The M5 I have 3 changes of the liquimoly 10w60. I think I will try the 15W50 in the 540 next change and see if the leaks stop in the 540 or at least deminish somewwhat. I enjoy the BMWs I have a 635 I am restoring but the newer ones are prblematic when it comes to emissions testing. Even the M5 with 50.000 miles required a new cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back