Old ammo still ok to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two revolvers; a .22 S&W and a 357 magnum S&W that I haven't fired in maybe 20-25 years. Would like to go to the range with my son. My question is I still have some old ammo; .22, .38 and 357 rounds all of which are also about 25 years old. Is it still safe and usable or should I turn it in at the range and start fresh? Thanks for any advise you can provide

Yes, I still have some WW2 surplus 45ACP that I shoot a few rounds of occasionally. It works like it was loaded yesterday. The cases are steel, which can't be reloaded.

Originally Posted by wwillson
Yes, I still have some WW2 surplus 45ACP that I shoot a few rounds of occasionally. It works like it was loaded yesterday. The cases are steel, which can't be reloaded.

+1 I have WW-II ball ammo for my M1 Garands and it works perfectly.

I've had similar when finding a leather holstered and loaded WW2 vintage 1911.45 in a deceased uncle's attic army trunk in the late 70's. It was surface rusted, but the interior was oiled and the parts free. The magazine was loaded with 1917 head stamped ammo. As a test, I took it 'as is' to the range where both firearm and ammo functioned just fine.

You should be fine. May get a couple of duds on the rimfire. Modern ammo with non-corrosive primers last almost forever if stored correctly. I've shot some 8x56R that was loaded in 1938 that all went boom just fine.

You will be fine w/ most old ammo as long as the cases aren't significantly corroded, but I have had some interesting failures w/ old Eastern Block stuff....

Originally Posted by wings&wheels
..... I have had some interesting failures w/ old Eastern Block stuff....

Yes, especially some generic 7.62 x 25 I got cheap
33.gif

The rimfire stuff does seems to go bad faster than anything.
I keep the duds and reinsert them so a different part of the rim gets struck.

[Linked Image]

This is how the guy who does my reloading delivers the cartridges, there is a seal between each cartridge. I suspect thus is a bit of an overkill? But hey, this is BITOG!

I have a vz52 in 7.62x45, oddball round only used in 2 or 3 Czech firearms. I acquired some surplus ammunition, but only wound up firing less than 30 rounds or so. There were a few duds, one that was weak to the point where if I hadn't seen dirt kick up, I would have checked the barrel. Final straw was one that hissed at varying intensity for a good 10 seconds with a wisp of smoke from the closed breech. Disposed of the rest.

I'd like to find somebody to build up some 10 gauge buckshot loaded to the old cartridge length and loading to replicate a vintage loading. I'd use it my 100+ year old Winchester lever to thin out some coyotes. Probably best to do a new post .

Like others have said, depends on how it was stored.

My suggestion would be to make sure the slug leaves the barrel.
Could the gunpowder loose its ability to create enough pressure ?
Could the gun go bang but the slug get stuck in barrel ?
That would cause a problem when firing round #2.

Be careful and enjoy shooting with your Son / sounds like fun.

Originally Posted by Donald
I think the USS Iowa found out the hard way using old bags of powder.

Different powder.

Different circumstance.

Iowa had loaded the shell, and was loading individual bags of powder in the breech. The powder was well past its expiration, separate, and out in the open. The Iowa's powder went bang with the appropriate force, but at the very wrong time. The OP's ammo is contained within the brass, and not going to get sparked by mishandling. It'll go bang at the proper time.

If you pull the trigger and there is no "BANG" show caution and keep muzzle discipline as a delayed ignition can be very dangerous. This and a ruptured case or thinned neck are the cautions.

The explosion aboard the Iowa was more than just old powder... Lots of wrong steps caused good men to die.

My late Dad was a plank holder in the Iowa , during WWII . But I have no private knowledge as to the cause of the disaster with one 16" barrel , on the Iowa . That was years after WWII .

My guess is that an " out of battery " ignition took place . I am also guessing the charge was designed to ignite electrically . Therefore , I also guess there is / was a micro switch , to prevent ignition until the breech is 100% closed ?

Leading to a malfunctioning , allowing the ignition before the breech was 100% closed .

All this is guess work . Take it for what is is or is not worth .

Best I remember reading , the bag charges contain a small amount of black powder at one end . Black powder being easier to ignite than smokeless , I am told .

So , the bags were positioned with the BP end close to the igniter . Which sets off the BP , which sets off the smokeless powder in the bag . Which sets off the other bags .

As to the OP's original question . As has been stated , it all depends on how the ammo has been stored . Ammo does not " like " hot climates , or damp / wet climates .

I have some .30-06 FA ammo from WWII . Sired some in a Garand . Some were fine . First one that had a case separation ( no harm to me or the Garand ) , I stopped shooting that ammo . If I should ever fire it , it would be in a 03A3 bolt gun .

Originally Posted by Astro14

Different powder.

Different circumstance.

Iowa had loaded the shell, and was loading individual bags of powder in the breech. The powder was well past its expiration, separate, and out in the open. The Iowa's powder went bang with the appropriate force, but at the very wrong time. The OP's ammo is contained within the brass, and not going to get sparked by mishandling. It'll go bang at the proper time.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
My late Dad was a plank holder in the Iowa , during WWII . But I have no private knowledge as to the cause of the disaster with one 16" barrel , on the Iowa . That was years after WWII .

My guess is that an " out of battery " ignition took place . I am also guessing the charge was designed to ignite electrically . Therefore , I also guess there is / was a micro switch , to prevent ignition until the breech is 100% closed ?

Leading to a malfunctioning , allowing the ignition before the breech was 100% closed .

Best I remember reading , the bag charges contain a small amount of black powder at one end . Black powder being easier to ignite than smokeless , I am told .

So , the bags were positioned with the BP end close to the igniter . Which sets off the BP , which sets off the smokeless powder in the bag . Which sets off the other bags .

As to the OP's original question . As has been stated , it all depends on how the ammo has been stored . Ammo does not " like " hot climates , or damp / wet climates .

I have some .30-06 FA ammo from WWII . Sired some in a Garand . Some were fine . First one that had a case separation ( no harm to me or the Garand ) , I stopped shooting that ammo . If I should ever fire it , it would be in a 03A3 bolt gun .

Different powder.

Different circumstance.

I ran into a guy who calls himself "Battleship Mike" and he was aboard the IOWA during the explosion. He has more more recently done volunteer work on the IOWA maintaining it. He said it was over-ram that caused the explosion.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister

Different powder.

Different circumstance.

I ran into a guy who calls himself "Battleship Mike" and he was aboard the IOWA during the explosion. He has more more recently done volunteer work on the IOWA maintaining it. He said it was over-ram that caused the explosion.

The guns were also overcharged several times, against regulation. It's been a while since I learned about it, but I believe there were several contributing factors

Originally Posted by nwjones18
You should be fine. May get a couple of duds on the rimfire. ...

That is almost standard on .22 LR rimfire for me, even new ammo.

As for the Iowa, several good youtube videos on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back