Oklahoma City 29 car pile up with fatalities

wdn

Sadly yesterday there was a 29 vehicle chain accident yesterday near Oklahoma City, including at least 4 semi-trucks one of them a cattle hauler, and 3 SUVs. One woman lost her life. It was conditions of freezing drizzle and freezing fog. The bull truck went completely sideways. It was not clear if the original seven-vehicle accident triggered the rest or was just part of it. Freezing fog can flash freeze from one minute to the next and the road be becomes a sheet of ice. They did note all the cattle seemed to have lived.

On Sunday here in New Hampshire just during the first half hour of snow I witnessed three serious accidents including a single car Jeep Cherokee totaled on F.E. Everett Turnpike with the front of the vehicle completely torn off. I was driving the Corolla with my wife in it and saw two more wrecks on city streets. Was literally making a milk run and saw three wrecks. Another one was a GMC Denali went sideways into a utility pole. I am not a body shop man but I would guess, totalled. It was whiteout conditions for 30 minutes. These were 3 totals witnessed in 15 minutes. The freak thing is the whole thing only dropped maybe four inches of snow and I was just making a milk run. I was following four snow plow trucks off the hghway actually took a left turn instead of a right at the exit ramp where I have been driving there 20 years and drove two miles on city streets before I realized my mistake. Been driving there for 20 years and got disoriented on streets I know like the back of my hand. You could barely see the car in front of you.

I live in Oklahoma & the thing here is speed, the faster the better. I am reluctant to use I-40 or any turnpike for that matter as whatever the speed limit is they will be 10 to 15 mph above that. On Interstates you will see a line of cars 10 feet apart at 85mph, what could go wrong?

I live in Oklahoma & the thing here is speed, the faster the better. I am reluctant to use I-40 or any turnpike for that matter as whatever the speed limit is they will be 10 to 15 mph above that. On Interstates you will see a line of cars 10 feet apart at 85mph, what could go wrong?
I drive I95 every day and see plenty of accidents, not sure how some of these people have lived as long as they have. 90mph in a 55mph zone is the norm here and they tailgate and switch lanes like they are about to win the Winston Cup series if they can just get around that corolla in front of them.

It seems counter productive, but whenever there's snow or ice, I always do my best to avoid getting on the Interstate. Especially when I used to spend a lot more time traveling for work. There's a few sections of 81 out here where people end up getting stranded for a few hours at a time when a truck will spin out on a hill (south of Syracuse) or there will be a pileup due to whiteouts (north of Syracuse). Easier to take the state highways or backroads.

I was incident command at a cattle truck flipping on the interstate on a 90+ degree day. It ended up on it's side and almost half of the cattle died of suffocation. A couple dozen escaped and went wild running around the interstate. Had to shut the road down for over 3 hours while the trailer was righted and strays were collected. Being a cowboy is tough work.

my eons ago h.s. driving instructor had been a marine in the korean war. he was gruff to say the least. he drilled into us “keep 1 car length per 10mph.” he seemed to relish scaring us with graphic state police filmstrips of gory highway accidents. it worked.

I'm glad the cows were okay. We had a horrible accident a few years ago where a cattle truck turned over and a bunch escaped some of the them mortally wounded. It's a horrible sight to watch an animal suffer due to human negligence.
^^I agree 200%.

my eons ago h.s. driving instructor had been a marine in the korean war. he was gruff to say the least. he drilled into us “keep 1 car length per 10mph.” he seemed to relish scaring us with graphic state police filmstrips of gory highway accidents. it worked.
My drivers ed teacher in HS taught us the same way. He also said we could use the "1 MS, 2 MS, 3 MS" term behind vehicles. Those gory films really got to me. I was/am a better driver ever since his teachings.

I still remember the movie they made us watch at my high school the day before senior prom. I can still remember the title of the film too, “Mechanized Death”.

I still remember the movie they made us watch at my high school the day before senior prom. I can still remember the title of the film too, “Mechanized Death”.
My drivers ed teacher in HS taught us the same way. He also said we could use the "1 MS, 2 MS, 3 MS" term behind vehicles. Those gory films really got to me. I was/am a better driver ever since his teachings.

Around here, cattle trucks think they are invincible, and will drive at high speed no matter what the conditions.

Reactions: GON
The Constable in the town I was raised in said it would be unforgivable if he had to inform my parents that I`d died in a speeding accident. That made an impression.

It seems counter productive, but whenever there's snow or ice, I always do my best to avoid getting on the Interstate. Especially when I used to spend a lot more time traveling for work. There's a few sections of 81 out here where people end up getting stranded for a few hours at a time when a truck will spin out on a hill (south of Syracuse) or there will be a pileup due to whiteouts (north of Syracuse). Easier to take the state highways or backroads.
Yeah interstates always seem to be the place where major wrecks and things happen.

When "snowmageddon" (at least by Birmingham standards) happened here a few years ago I was stuck at work until after it was bad. I took hilly fresh untraveled side streets home and the 2wd Ranger actually did okay. The one spot it got stuck was bad for everybody, but people from the neighborhood were outside pushing cars through the rough spot. Interstates here are insanity in freezing precipitation.

It's on YouTube ... just search for Mechanized Death. Also plenty of other similar films there.

I drive I95 every day and see plenty of accidents, not sure how some of these people have lived as long as they have. 90mph in a 55mph zone is the norm here and they tailgate and switch lanes like they are about to win the Winston Cup series if they can just get around that corolla in front of them.

That how it’s here in central FL.

Back