Okay to mix M1 Annual Protection with M1 Extended Protection?

Messages
51
Location
Central Texas
Same viscosity, 0w-20. I have 2 or 3 quarts leftover of 0w-20 AP from my last oil change and I decided to go with M1 EP 0w-20 for my next fill in large part because M1 won't give a rebate on the AP this rebate period. That and the fact when I'm only going to go out to 7,500 miles tops on the OCI (don't want to go against my Yukon's oil life meter at this point at least for warranty reasons,) I'm not even certain the AP is the better oil at those OCI durations. I'd rather use it up if I could as opposed to simply recycling. Curious as to others thoughts/comments.
 

TTK

Messages
668
Location
TN
Originally Posted by AirBull
Same viscosity, 0w-20. I have 2 or 3 quarts leftover of 0w-20 AP from my last oil change and I decided to go with M1 EP 0w-20 for my next fill in large part because M1 won't give a rebate on the AP this rebate period. That and the fact when I'm only going to go out to 7,500 miles tops on the OCI (don't want to go against my Yukon's oil life meter at this point at least for warranty reasons,) I'm not even certain the AP is the better oil at those OCI durations. I'd rather use it up if I could as opposed to simply recycling. Curious as to others thoughts/comments.
Why do you say AP is not included in the rebates? The following taken from Mobil 1 site: "$12 rebate with purchase of five or more quarts (or multiquart-jug equivalent) of any Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil. "
 

AirBull

Thread starter
Messages
51
Location
Central Texas
Thanks for the replies! I know nobody knows what the secret sauce of AP is, just wanted to make sure there wasn't something out there that I wasn't aware of.
Originally Posted by TTK
Originally Posted by AirBull
Same viscosity, 0w-20. I have 2 or 3 quarts leftover of 0w-20 AP from my last oil change and I decided to go with M1 EP 0w-20 for my next fill in large part because M1 won't give a rebate on the AP this rebate period. That and the fact when I'm only going to go out to 7,500 miles tops on the OCI (don't want to go against my Yukon's oil life meter at this point at least for warranty reasons,) I'm not even certain the AP is the better oil at those OCI durations. I'd rather use it up if I could as opposed to simply recycling. Curious as to others thoughts/comments.
Why do you say AP is not included in the rebates? The following taken from Mobil 1 site: "$12 rebate with purchase of five or more quarts (or multiquart-jug equivalent) of any Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil. "
I used the rebate in the Spring for AP (and got the rollback price as well if I remember correctly,) but for the fall, they amended the T/C's to specifically excliude the Annual Protection. $7.97/qt vs. $2.69/qt for a high quality full synthetic that EP is, for 7,500 mile OCI's, is an easy choice to make. If Mobil 1 could convince me the AP was actually superior in protection (why I like the EP over the regular M1) then I'd consider it.
Quote
Rebate terms and conditions Between Aug. 1, 2018 and Oct. 31, 2018 (the "Promotion Period"), purchase any Mobil 1â„¢ Eligible product or Mobil Superâ„¢ Eligible product from a participating retailer listed below ("Participating Retailer") and receive a rebate as follows: For five (5) or more quarts of any Mobil 1 Eligible product and one (1) Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil filter or Mobil 1 motorcycle oil filter, receive a Seventeen Dollar ($17) rebate check by mail (the "$17 Rebate"); For five (5) or more quarts of any Mobil 1 Eligible product, receive a Twelve Dollar ($12) rebate check by mail (the "$12 Rebate"); For five (5) or more quarts of any Mobil Super Synthetic motor oil, receive a Ten Dollar ($10) rebate check by mail (the "$10 Rebate"); or For five (5) or more quarts of Mobil Super or Mobil Super High Mileage, receive a Seven Dollar ($7) rebate check by mail (the "$7 Rebate"). "Mobil 1 Eligible products" shall mean Mobil 1, Mobil 1â„¢ High Mileage, Mobil 1â„¢ Advanced Fuel Economy, Mobil 1â„¢ Extended Performance and Mobil 1â„¢ Turbo Diesel Truck motor oils; Mobil 1, Mobil 1 Racingâ„¢ 4T and Mobil 1â„¢ V-Twin motorcycle oils; and Mobil 1â„¢ Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid. All viscosities qualify. "Mobil Super Eligible products" shall mean Mobil Super, Mobil Superâ„¢ High Mileage and Mobil Superâ„¢ Synthetic motor oils. All viscosities qualify.
 
Last edited:

TTK

Messages
668
Location
TN
Originally Posted by AirBull
Thanks for the replies! I know nobody knows what the secret sauce of AP is, just wanted to make sure there wasn't something out there that I wasn't aware of.
Originally Posted by TTK
Originally Posted by AirBull
Same viscosity, 0w-20. I have 2 or 3 quarts leftover of 0w-20 AP from my last oil change and I decided to go with M1 EP 0w-20 for my next fill in large part because M1 won't give a rebate on the AP this rebate period. That and the fact when I'm only going to go out to 7,500 miles tops on the OCI (don't want to go against my Yukon's oil life meter at this point at least for warranty reasons,) I'm not even certain the AP is the better oil at those OCI durations. I'd rather use it up if I could as opposed to simply recycling. Curious as to others thoughts/comments.
Why do you say AP is not included in the rebates? The following taken from Mobil 1 site: "$12 rebate with purchase of five or more quarts (or multiquart-jug equivalent) of any Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil. "
I used the rebate in the Spring for AP (and got the rollback price as well if I remember correctly,) but for the fall, they amended the T/C's to specifically excliude the Annual Protection. $7.97/qt vs. $2.69/qt for a high quality full synthetic that EP is, for 7,500 mile OCI's, is an easy choice to make. If Mobil 1 could convince me the AP was actually superior in protection (why I like the EP over the regular M1) then I'd consider it.
Quote
Rebate terms and conditions Between Aug. 1, 2018 and Oct. 31, 2018 (the "Promotion Period"), purchase any Mobil 1â„¢ Eligible product or Mobil Superâ„¢ Eligible product from a participating retailer listed below ("Participating Retailer") and receive a rebate as follows: For five (5) or more quarts of any Mobil 1 Eligible product and one (1) Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil filter or Mobil 1 motorcycle oil filter, receive a Seventeen Dollar ($17) rebate check by mail (the "$17 Rebate"); For five (5) or more quarts of any Mobil 1 Eligible product, receive a Twelve Dollar ($12) rebate check by mail (the "$12 Rebate"); For five (5) or more quarts of any Mobil Super Synthetic motor oil, receive a Ten Dollar ($10) rebate check by mail (the "$10 Rebate"); or For five (5) or more quarts of Mobil Super or Mobil Super High Mileage, receive a Seven Dollar ($7) rebate check by mail (the "$7 Rebate"). "Mobil 1 Eligible products" shall mean Mobil 1, Mobil 1â„¢ High Mileage, Mobil 1â„¢ Advanced Fuel Economy, Mobil 1â„¢ Extended Performance and Mobil 1â„¢ Turbo Diesel Truck motor oils; Mobil 1, Mobil 1 Racingâ„¢ 4T and Mobil 1â„¢ V-Twin motorcycle oils; and Mobil 1â„¢ Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid. All viscosities qualify. "Mobil Super Eligible products" shall mean Mobil Super, Mobil Superâ„¢ High Mileage and Mobil Superâ„¢ Synthetic motor oils. All viscosities qualify.
Well, shall see. I just sent in a rebate for Mobil 1 AP.
 
Messages
17,244
Location
...
Originally Posted by CT8
Why do people ask if oil can be mixed..
Same reason that people ask which oil is best or what oil for my car?
 
Messages
1,338
Location
texas
why are you bothering with EP or AP for 7.5K mile changes? Dino will make it that far no problem. M1 AFE or PP at @22/jug - $21 rebate is the deal that is hard to beat nowadays. great oil for 10K OCI let alone 7.5K.
 
Messages
9,420
Location
Virginia
Originally Posted by CT8
Why do people ask if oil can be mixed..
Because they are wondering if it is ok?? And that's a part of stuff that goes on round here smile
 
Messages
7,061
Location
Wet side WA
Why? To fool yourself into believing you have a better oil than Mobil 1 Extended performance with a substantial cost increase? I'll be convinced when they can show us Mobil 1 AP can guarantee you 1/3 more the life of your car because it is that much more expensive even on Rollback .
 
Messages
1,671
Location
California
I have also been mixing oils of different grades and different brands, doing it for years with zero issues. You are talking about mixing oil from the same producer (Mobil) of the same grade (0w20). You will be fine.
 
Top