Okay to drive for another 10k?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know these tires are well done(approaching wear bar) however they perform decently enough in the rain. I want to maximize life out of them (47k on Yokohama Avid Enveagor) as I never ran tires this long.

My questions is are these cracks anything to be concerned about for another 5k-10k (before next fall?) The car is a 2005 Legacy GT wagon if that matters in 215/45/17.

I think it's just a funny way of the sipes wearing out.

I hope these don't touch snow, though.

Cracks for me would be no worry, but get in the wrong wet situation and it will be bad.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I think it's just a funny way of the sipes wearing out.

I hope these don't touch snow, though.

My wife is a seriously talented New England driver used to junk tires on FWD japanese junk boxes. It made it through a record snow year unscathed not sure how.

I tried some new on these tire, never rotated them. It may explain odd wear patterns. Interestingly the tread depth is very close front back although fronts are choppy.

Ok for another 10k miles? Do you feel like replacing tires on the side of the freeway after they've blown out?

Originally Posted By: cjcride
I would start checking for sales on new tires.

+1

Once tires get this worn, I always let a sale trigger my purchase.

It might be a $70 rebate or a buy 3 get one free deal.

Just don't squeeze another month and miss a good deal.

Sams has been running the Pirelli and Michelin rebates pretty regularly lately.

I'd probably buy DTD memorial sale is coming up better to save 100-150$ now than be at the mercy of whoever with a bad tire.

Doesn't mean you have to mount them immediately.

Last edited:
I dont like the direction that the cracks turned, but Id just be looking for a good deal. Id also be sure my spare was fully to pressure.

I think this enough to convince my wife to shed them.

I looked up old tires and apparently Yokohama says 45k warranty on these W-rated tires.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
I think this enough to convince my wife to shed them.

Good move!

They could probably do another 5k, but surely those tyres can't be legal any more. 47k is a really good run for a car tyre.

They look fine to me, I still can't believe how many people ride around with stel belts showing for as long as possible before breaking down and buying the cheapest tires at Walmart. I'm sure you're fine.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
I would not let my wife drive on those.

I wouldn't let myself drive on them!

They look safe (from an integrity standpoint) but there just isn't enough tread.

I'm a tire nut, I'd replace them at the next sale.

They are probably at least as good as 40% of the tires in the parking lot at work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back