Okay, now you guys have me thinking...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys have me thinking about a change in oil.

I've been listeing to all the talk about the 0W20/30 weight oils, and wonder if they would still be good for the wife's car.

Her 03 Cavalier w/ the Ecotec is currently running M1 5w30, and has been since 12k (now 51k). I'm thinking about running M1 0W30 for the winter. And two extra questions to boot:

1. Will it still offer the same protection? Her car runs mostly short trip city driving, and right now the ecotec still runs like new. And I'm planning to keep it that way.

2. Does it really offer better MPGs? It's not the important (gets high 20s/low 30s now), but a few extra would be nice.

I know the newer cars will be ruuning it, but I still wonder if it will still hang in there....

Last edited:
I wouldn't hesitate to use the 0W-30 but I would not drop down to 0W-20 in that engine. I run the 0W-30 in all three cars in the winter. Unfortunately, any mileage increase that I see is offset by winter blend gasoline.

I too wouldn't hesitate to use a 0w30 (even year round), but I wouldn't drop to a 0w20 as I feel it's too thin for this engine design.
thumbsup2.gif

Quote:
1. Will it still offer the same protection? Her car runs mostly short trip city driving, and right now the ecotec still runs like new. And I'm planning to keep it that way.

I'd say, YES. Any differences, as minor as they are, don't show up until around 15 minutes.

Apply any and all appropriate disclaimers. (ymmv ....)

My dad has been using M1 0w30 in his Pontiac G6 2.4L Ecotec. Nothing bad whatsoever. It doesn't even get cold enough in Florida to put the 0w to the test.

Check the UOA section, it appears that M1 0w30 has lower iron wear than M1 5w30.

Dad also saw no change in fuel economy versus any 5w30 synthetic.

So it looks like no gas improvement, but it will still run just the same....

And I think M1 still has that rebate....hmmm....

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Quote:

I'd say, YES. Any differences, as minor as they are, don't show up until around 15 minutes.

Apply any and all appropriate disclaimers. (ymmv ....)

You mean after the car is warmed up?

Mobil says 2% improvement in mileage compared to - whatever high viscosity oil they chose for the test! You will probably notice the improvement in winter more than summer. A 3:1 blended ratio of 0w30 : 0w20 mix would be better - the resultant cSt of about 10.2 is still firmly in the 30 weight range, that's what I would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back