Okay, I'm new and need help with the translation!

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

"I am considering replacing the mineral oil in my engine with a synthetic oil. The engine has 50,000 miles on it. I have heard that the mineral oil and synthetic oil are compatible. Is this true?"

Generally, the reference to synthetic oil for an engine, means a lubricant is formulated with a polyalphaolefin (PAO) base oil. PAO, which is often called synthesized hydrocarbon, is pure and is compatible with mineral base oils.

However, because the PAO base oil does not dissolve additives effectively, it is usually formulated with an ester co-base (usually di-ester and/or polyol ester). The additives are soluble with the ester and the ester is soluble with the PAO.

Likewise, the PAO tends to cause seal shrinkage and the ester causes seal swelling, so the effects are offset when both base oils are present. It is the ester that can cause problems when one changes from mineral to synthetic.

Ester base oil used alongside PAO base oil in lubricant formulation has excellent natural detergency. In other words, it will clean up varnish on component surfaces as a result of thermal and oxidative degradation of the lubricant. When one switches from a typical mineral-based engine oil to a typical synthetic-based oil, the varnish layer will be removed by the ester in the synthetic oil and become suspended.

This suspended material can rapidly clog filters and can block oil flow passageways and lead to component starvation. The same is true for gearboxes and other industrial machines.

So think twice about switching to synthetic oils in applications where the engine or other machine has been operating for some time with mineral oils. If you decide to make the switch, try to clean the system before making the change, then monitor it carefully once you start it up.

Drew Troyer, Noria Corporation

Huh?
confused.gif
So Auto-RX shouldn't be used with with a synthetic??

Whoaa, I know I'm new and it was a stupid question, but I didn't know. No need to get nasty. I won't ask any more questions.

Sorry.

I'll really didn't mean to be nasty at all, but if me or Hammer or anyone started answering your question, then we would be starting a whole 'nother thread on the same topic (again).

Tony (vetteman) site owner has made it very clear, as with any other BB aite, the site software has a search feature. It may not be perfect, but for example dropping "Drew Troyer Noria" in the search slot, results in:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=013548#000000

Looking in the additives forum there are 100's of synthetic oil and AutoRx threads.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=007037

Could be - but that would be silly. Maybe I'm too rude....but with a skin that thin the guy would get eaten alive on some of the auto boards out there.

Hopefully Roadtrain will chime in on another thread.

quote:

I'll really didn't mean to be nasty at all, but if me or Hammer or anyone started answering your question, then we would be starting a whole 'nother thread on the same topic (again).

Well, it's easy to avoid a situation like that: leave the policing to the police (Vetteman and his posse). Just don't reply!

quote:

Could be - but that would be silly. Maybe I'm too rude....but with a skin that thin the guy would get eaten alive on some of the auto boards out there.

he would have been flamed so bad he would have needed two top fuel fire suits to survive on neons.org. some places have no tolerance for repeat posts when something can be found by a simple search. hopefully he didnt get scared away. i have noticed this site is pretty good about flaming.

Board dynamics is an interesting subject. Because of the anonymity we have in the virtual world, we may often say things that we would never say when speaking to someone in person.

Nevertheless, it's easy to pick out and determine quite easily on - line those who would be quiet and reserved , and those who would be loud and aggressive in real life. On any given forum, you have your classic bully (s), your classic weakling (s), and the others fall into place somewhere along the scale. Board dynamics tend to mirror life beyond cyberspace. Consider the classic playground bully for example, that is alive and well still kicking sand in the face of the perceived weakling in cyberspace.

In cyberspace, as in the real world, some things are considered rite of passage. The new kid on the block may be taunted or tested until he or she has earned the rite of passage. Rite of passage is ancient, especially with respect to becoming a warrior.

I paused to read this thread and found it interesting. I think there are lessons to be learned here about how the discussion with RoadTrain was handled. Anyone who may be interested in the psychology of cyberspace can investigate the link I've provided.

http://www.rider.edu/~suler/psycyber/psycyber.html

quote:

Hey can anyone tell me about this stuff called Molybdenum?

Very funny : )

Just a side note: After I posted my response to this thread above, at least one post was deleted shortly afterwards. My observation on this thread was in response to the flow of the thread in it's entirety. Because one or more posts were deleted, my comments lack a certain relevance. I would not have responded to this thread without all the principals present.

Now....... where would you put that stuff called Molybdenum ?! : )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back