okay I finally put in the Redline 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after my Auto rx treatment rinse phase and running the worst dino pennzoil in my 1.8t passat, I finally switched to the Redline 5W-30. I don't know if it is just my imagination, but man it sure seems like everything is running really smooth!
smile.gif
The engine just sounds good. I put a K&N filter in since that was what I thought was a better brand (hope it's ok). I will try and post some numbers when I send in a sample.

Thanks for all the help and advice everybody.
smile.gif

you are joking about pennzoil being the "worst" dino ,right?
rolleyes.gif
the 10w30 seems to be a robust fare...

[ March 07, 2004, 05:34 AM: Message edited by: moontan ]

spooner that Redline has that tendency. It is not your imaginnation. It makes everything seem to run smoother and quiter as well. I do not know if it is the base stock or the insane additive package!! If you rub a bit between your fingers it has a different feeling then most oils!

I am also running Redline 5w30 after my AutoRX treatment and rinse and have noted the same effect on my 02 Maxima. Going to give it a go in my wifes 03 Mits Eclipse Spyder after the AutoRx clean and rinse. It is also great to have a forum sponsor who makes the oil available to us. Good work.

Pedro

I can't comment on RedLine's smoothness since I have to wait another month before I'll run it in my Prelude and my parents' Passat V6, but I can comment on MyOilShop.com since I just bought 36 quarts of 5W-30 from them. Their prices are excellent, the customer service is excellent, and shipping is fast and reliable. I highly recommend them and I will certainly buy my next batch of oil from them as well.

It's good to know that RedLine makes the engine run really smooth. I'd like my engine to run buttah smoov...
grin.gif

quote:

I do not know if it is the base stock or the insane additive package!!

RL is heavily friction modified. 500ppm of Moly will do it.

I ran RL 5W30 in my Outback and yes very smooth. Then I wanted more RX cleans and used the great Pennzoil 5W30 dino. I can't agree that it's a bad oil. Why do you think that?

I second that with regards to myoilshop.com They are great!

Regarding the redline oil making things smoother... That may be so, but it seems to me that often the UOAs using redline are very ordinary, at best. Not showing that it is protecting particularly better than anything else...

I will so that many a BMW LSD has been quieted by using redline diff oil, and I love theri gear/transmission oils. Havent tried the motor oils since there are other synth oils that look so good.

JMH

buster used to think like that but then did a search of Redline UOA's and if I'm not mistaken has a different view now? Also there are some very recent RL UOA's that are excellent in UOA section.

I think redline has ordinary UOA's because the people who use it.. half of em drive nuts...
just my 2cents...
I am using their D4? atf and gear oils right now.
Still using the mobil 1 0w40 I get for 2$/qt
smile.gif

oh and myoilshop is great.. highly recommended
Great prices, fast shipping, no problems

Rand

There are great RL UOA's here. Also many use RL once (myself included) and the esters or whatever do some serious cleaning which I can attest too (oil goes black very quickly) and this doesn't help in the UOA dept IMO.

Redline oils seems to be on the higher end of the viscosity ranges they make as opposed to other brands.Amsoil is also like this.

I switched my still-fairly-new Nissan Sentra SE-R SpecV over to Red Line 5W30 at the 12,000 mile mark. I just turned over 15,000 miles on the clock this past week.

It had used all sorts of oils up to this point: mystery factory fill, Chevron Supreme, Castrol Syntec blend (Dealership), Schaeffer S7K, Castrol Syntec blend (Dealership again) and finally the current Red Line. As you can see, the car’s had many types of oil and the average drain interval was approximately 2,500 miles … so it was always fresh. No problems with anything, not even consumption but giving it moderately gentle break-in treatment I wasn’t really expecting any “issues.”

What’s been odd is that lately I’ve been pulling up and stopping at red lights and getting the weird sensation that my car has stalled. It goes almost perfectly silent. I find myself reaching for the key to re-start the car while looking at the tach and ‘blipping’ the throttle. Sure enough, the engine is still running fine but I have to turn the radio and fan completely “off” to actually hear it idle. This may be normal for a Lexus, Mercedes or Acura … but a Sentra??
shocked.gif

Maybe it’s the noisy, studded snow tires which makes idling at a light eerily quiet? Maybe the engine is fully/perfectly broken in now? Maybe I’m going deaf? There are no other signs of hearing problems. Eavesdropping on other conversations in my office is still not a problem.
wink.gif

It would appear that Red Line has been making this thing run smoother than ever.

I’ve run Red Line in a ‘95 Honda Civic before and my UOAs are here on this site. Because of a coolant leak, I can’t say too much about them other than they were unimpressive. And I never felt it ran any smoother than when using any other oil. Mileage actually dropped when compared to the thin Mobil 1 I had used previously.
dunno.gif

We’ve seen other Hondas without “glycol issues” and it would appear Red Line’s aggressive chemistry and their bearings simply are not the best of friends. The natural detergency of Red Line’s Group V ester chemistry does seem to clean up a lot of crud and scavenges copper from oil coolers, etc … but in most makes this diminishes quickly. From piopio’s results in his SpecV, Red Line seems to be a great choice for this Nissan motor.
smile.gif

Anyway, I had a couple quarts of Red Line 5W30 left over from my Honda days, then ordered a couple more quarts to have enough for a complete oil & filter change. This is what I used over the winter. I’ll be changing my oil sometime in April (will post the UOA here) and then switching over to Schaeffer S7K for the foreseeable future since I have a lot on-hand.

I agree that myoilshop.com’s service is pretty good. However, their website needs some serious work/updating.
rolleyes.gif

--- Bror Jace

I use M1 and can agree that synthetic does make things real quiet under the hood. I used 10W30 conventional in my last engine and I can say this motor runs a lot smoother and quieter on Synthetic. I haven't never used RL but I will be switching to RL for the transmission and rear end in the next 60 days.

quote:

Originally posted by Ferrari:
I can't comment on RedLine's smoothness since I have to wait another month before I'll run it in my Prelude and my parents' Passat V6, but I can comment on MyOilShop.com since I just bought 36 quarts of 5W-30 from them. Their prices are excellent, the customer service is excellent, and shipping is fast and reliable. I highly recommend them and I will certainly buy my next batch of oil from them as well.

It's good to know that RedLine makes the engine run really smooth. I'd like my engine to run buttah smoov...
grin.gif

Absolute 100% DITTO to that !!!
worshippy.gif

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
spooner that Redline has that tendency. It is not your imaginnation. It makes everything seem to run smoother and quiter as well. I do not know if it is the base stock or the insane additive package!! If you rub a bit between your fingers it has a different feeling then most oils!

I had the same effect with RL 5W-30 on my 2002 Suburban! In addition to the smoother running engine, oil pressure across the board was 5 psi higher than on dino, M1 or castrol 0W-30 (US).

Bror Jace, My Camry is the same way. It is so quient that you think the engien is not running even with the window down stoped in a parking lot. My engine runs so quite ont he 5W40 that I thought someone 6 or 7 parking spaces down left their engine running when they ran inside!

I have a different oil in it now and it is no were near the same as 5W40 Redline!!

quote:

Originally posted by Alan:
Redline oils seems to be on the higher end of the viscosity ranges they make as opposed to other brands.

Their oils are in the middle of the range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back