ok until oil change 4.7 dodge

Status
Not open for further replies.
had head gaskets done on the 03 ram. ran great and still runs ok, but recently did an oil change
and then at idle, the idiot guage drops and the check guage light comes on--then goes up right away...first filter after the HG job was a purolator classic, now I used a fram ph16 and this starts.... oil I drained had 1800 miles an looked normal but very dark---nothing unusual. I drained early due to contaminated oil prior to repairs....tomorrow I am going to replace the pcv valve and oil pressure sending unit.... my question is could this fram be a problem? I had a Durango with the same engine and never had this problem---

after it's warmed up and kinda random---only at stoplight/idle in gear and goes right back up with any additional throttle-- daughter's truck... oil level and appearance are normal ... no noise when I started it

Could be sending unit or wiring to it. When you are doing major engine work you move the wiring harness in ways it has never moved before and its possible you now have a bad wire or something to the sender. You can also try just putting another filter on it. Best thing to do would be to get a mechanical gauge to hook up temporarily to verify it isn't a real problem.

It's fairly common for oil pressure senders to get wonky on those when they get old. Plus its right by the oil filter...maybe you knocked it with the filter wrench and finished it off?

I'm hoping its the sending unit---I've changed
2 or 3 on the accord over the years... I'm just praying it's
not the oil pump or oil pickup being clogged. mechanic who did the heads didn't mention any sludge or abnormal conditions

Originally Posted By: Wampahoofus
It's fairly common for oil pressure senders to get wonky on those when they get old. Plus its right by the oil filter...maybe you knocked it with the filter wrench and finished it off?

Thats what I was thinking, since it showed up right after a change, is that something got disturbed during.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Originally Posted By: Wampahoofus

Thats what I was thinking, since it showed up right after a change, is that something got disturbed during.

I sure hope so---never ever had an oil pressure problem except the bad sensors on the accord

Amazing how quick you are to suspect the filter without doing any diagnostic work at all. Any tech would hook up a mechanical gauge before jumping to conclusions and slandering a product. Those engines are well known for sludge due to PCV neglect and oil change neglect. Fixed some by replacing the pressure gauge, many others the oil pump pickup screen was clogged.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Don't these motors famously die from sludge/low oil pressure?

Head gaskets, overheating, bottom end failure, not a fan of the 4.7 myself. plenty of failed examples rotting on craigslist. the after effect has been a good 4.7 is expensive.

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Amazing how quick you are to suspect the filter without doing any diagnostic work at all. Any tech would hook up a mechanical gauge before jumping to conclusions and slandering a product. Those engines are well known for sludge due to PCV neglect and oil change neglect. Fixed some by replacing the pressure gauge, many others the oil pump pickup screen was clogged.

Who said it was the filter??? I only see questions about it...

That said it could be that the Fram is creating enough of a restriction(actually filtering oil) the light trips at idle(yes that's a slam on the Classic)... If motor had coolant in oil in past, usually the bearings are worn/damaged...

Originally Posted By: Motorking

perhaps you should read before becoming defensive and accusing someone of slander. I asked if this could be a problem with this filter on this vehicle since it was the only factor that changed. it is well known that some vehicles are picky. Your comments about oil change neglect are funny being that I have a vehicle with over 500K miles.

Originally Posted By: Ursatdx
I'm going w/ sending unit.
Comes on when engine is warm, in drive, at a stop.
Goes off when RPMs are increased.

But if oil pressure is low at idle the light is acting exactly as it's supposed to... Need to connect a actual gauge...

I changed the sending unit and also switched to an ultra. the old sending unit had oil in the plug side. so far so good.. I warmed up to running temp and took it for a test drive a few miles down the road and sat in a drive-through for about ten mins and back home and it was ok. if anything changes or if it happens again, I'll update. hopefully that is all it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back