Ok to use TO-4 in final drives/gearboxes/chaincases?

Sitting here digging through equipment manuals on the interwebs so i can update my service files. We have JCB, Cat, and Kubota loaders/mini-ex's. Occasionally I work on a Bobcat or Deere. The Kubota final drives call for 80w-90, pretty sure our JCB says SAE 30 engine oil although i've been using 80w-90 in it, and the last Cat i saw took TDTO(TO-4) SAE 50. The chaincase on our Cat says 10w-30 engine oil while the Kubota's say ISO 46HD. For the transmission/gearboxes we have a '91 L8000 dump with a synchronized Spicer that calls for 80w-90 or TO-4 SAE 50, and we have a '86 F350 dump with a 460/T-19 that i've been told takes 80w-90, and one mechanic said he likes SAE 30 engine oil in the old stuff.:unsure: For the chaincases i like to change those every other year, and final drives i do every oil change which is roughly 300hr. Transmissions are both low use, less than 5k miles a year so they don't get changed very often at all.

So my question is this, instead of dealing with multiple types of oil for this stuff is there any reason why i shouldn't use a TO-4 spec oil for it all? Use SAE 30 in the chaincases, and 50 in final drives/transmissions. It would definitely simplify things for me, and from what can i tell shouldn't cause any issues.

Sitting here digging through equipment manuals on the interwebs so i can update my service files. We have JCB, Cat, and Kubota loaders/mini-ex's. Occasionally I work on a Bobcat or Deere. The Kubota final drives call for 80w-90, pretty sure our JCB says SAE 30 engine oil although i've been using 80w-90 in it, and the last Cat i saw took TDTO(TO-4) SAE 50. The chaincase on our Cat says 10w-30 engine oil while the Kubota's say ISO 46HD. For the transmission/gearboxes we have a '91 L8000 dump with a synchronized Spicer that calls for 80w-90 or TO-4 SAE 50, and we have a '86 F350 dump with a 460/T-19 that i've been told takes 80w-90, and one mechanic said he likes SAE 30 engine oil in the old stuff.:unsure: For the chaincases i like to change those every other year, and final drives i do every oil change which is roughly 300hr. Transmissions are both low use, less than 5k miles a year so they don't get changed very often at all.

So my question is this, instead of dealing with multiple types of oil for this stuff is there any reason why i shouldn't use a TO-4 spec oil for it all? Use SAE 30 in the chaincases, and 50 in final drives/transmissions. It would definitely simplify things for me, and from what can i tell shouldn't cause any issues.
Thats the advantage to TO oils BUT make sure of the application

The equipment is expensive I would use recommended or better fluids.

Back