Ok to use SL rated oil in an SM rated car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about to get rid of a car that I have been using QS Defy 5W30 (SL rated) with. I still have a couple of 5 quart jugs left. Is it ok to run that in my Hondas that call for SM 5W20 oil?

Originally Posted By: Alltherage
Yes although your mileage will suffer going to 5w30
By how much?

By an immeasurable amount.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

By an immeasurable amount.

.0000000001 MPG's!

Looks like the majority of the replies are "ok to use". So even though there's much more zinc and phosphorous (25% more according to Shell) that shouldn't be a problem right?

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
by definition if it is less, it is measurable.

By an OEM over a million samples, sure. Not by your average end user though.

I've been running SL in an SM application for 9 years and 108K miles. I'm still waiting on the damage to occur.

Originally Posted By: GMorg
I've been running SL in an SM application for 9 years and 108K miles. I'm still waiting on the damage to occur.

When it does occur, prepare to pay hundreds for the cat. Not worth the risk.

Exactly what car do you have, the year and engine also. My 2006 Accord takes either 5w20 or 0w20 but the only oil specs are that it has to have The API starburst symbol and it needs to be a "premium detergent oil" nothing about SM SN SL etc.

You're selling it... Either throw whatever oil you have in it or don't even change it, what does it matter?

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Exactly what car do you have, the year and engine also. My 2006 Accord takes either 5w20 or 0w20 but the only oil specs are that it has to have The API starburst symbol and it needs to be a "premium detergent oil" nothing about SM SN SL etc.

You know what?? I think you are right. I got a 2007 Fit. I just finished looking through the owner's manual and no where did it say it required "SM" rated oil. Only "API starburst". Now I'm wondering where I got the "SM" idea from......could have sworn it was from the owners manual though........

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
by definition if it is less, it is measurable.

Yes thank you. There is one in every crowd. You're not going to measure a difference in fuel economy between 5w-20 and 5w-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back