OK to use Purolator filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I won't run a Puro on my car, BUT

to be realistic, I have lawnmowers which run with no oil filter and pretty bad air filtration and they do just fine. Although I will concede they don't have VVT actuators fed by oil or long timing chains, I don't think a torn oil filter will really cause any damage.

BUT, there are so many options that are reliable filter choices (even those cheap Ecoguard things look ok) that I see no reason at all to use a Puro unless I get a deal where they are included, and even then it better be a Boss.

Originally Posted By: car51
I wouldn't put anything Purolator/Motorcraft on even a scooter

I respect you tremendously but I think you might be a bit harsh in your judgement
grin2.gif
. The attached pictures are of my 2.0L Zetec that used PL14670 filters for probably over 70,000 miles of it's life. They were used a minimum of 5,000 miles to 8,000 mile OCI's. The pics are at either a 103,000 or 106,000 miles when I did a VC change for a very slight weeping. Will I use them any more, no I'll use Fram Ultra or Mobil 1 filters. But I will use Motorcraft FL910S filters in our 2017 2.3 EcoBoost Explorer. I don't believe there were any issues found with these filters. They are so small They can't stretch far enough to tear
lol.gif
. Plus it keeps Ford happy for the duration of our extended 125,000 mile ESP warranty. A recent 7,000 mile OCI I posted here showed insolubles of only .2 after 7,000 miles, not bad I'd say. It's sad what happened to a once good reputation filter. Carry on with your great work, many thanks!
thumbsup2.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Lets go over this again for SilverC6 and anyone gullible enough to side with that garbage ...

If anyone wants to see the anti-Fram speak SilverC6 is always spewing just go read any post he's done in the oil filter forum.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/userposts/id/23535

He's so immersed in Fram hate that he believes someone is running a "Fram campaign" because they mention that Purolators can tear media. Guess that what happens when a true stock holding fanboy becomes totally delusional.

Originally Posted By: Whimsey

I respect you tremendously but I think you might be a bit harsh in your judgement
grin2.gif
. The attached pictures are of my 2.0L Zetec that used PL14670 filters for probably over 70,000 miles of it's life. They were used a minimum of 5,000 miles to 8,000 mile OCI's. The pics are at either a 103,000 or 106,000 miles when I did a VC change for a very slight weeping. Will I use them any more, no I'll use Fram Ultra or Mobil 1 filters. But I will use Motorcraft FL910S filters in our 2017 2.3 EcoBoost Explorer. I don't believe there were any issues found with these filters. They are so small They can't stretch far enough to tear
lol.gif
. Plus it keeps Ford happy for the duration of our extended 125,000 mile ESP warranty. A recent 7,000 mile OCI I posted here showed insolubles of only .2 after 7,000 miles, not bad I'd say. It's sad what happened to a once good reputation filter. Carry on with your great work, many thanks!
thumbsup2.gif

Whimsey

Whimsey: I do have some FL-910S left in the stash for 2frienda vehicles. I haven't had one or FL-400S I ran tear on me. Just feel like it's Russian rhoulette as I've saw torn FL-820S. Thank you for the compliments
smile.gif

The attached pictures are of my 2.0L Zetec that used PL14670 filters for probably over 70,000 miles of it's life. They were used a minimum of 5,000 miles to 8,000 mile OCI's.

I don't believe there were any issues found with these filters. They are so small They can't stretch far enough to tear.
lol.gif

Now run the motor for 70,000 miles with torn oil filters in continuous bypass to see how it compares. Be sure to do a complete teardown before and after to get comparable measurements and visuals.

It's funny how some people say a torn filter is "probably" not going to harm anything, but in the same breath say they won't use Purolator again. For those that do still use them, please continue to cut & post your findings!

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
The attached pictures are of my 2.0L Zetec that used PL14670 filters for probably over 70,000 miles of it's life. They were used a minimum of 5,000 miles to 8,000 mile OCI's.

I don't believe there were any issues found with these filters. They are so small They can't stretch far enough to tear.
lol.gif

Now run the motor for 70,000 miles with torn oil filters in continuous bypass to see how it compares. Be sure to do a complete teardown before and after to get comparable measurements and visuals.

It's funny how some people say a torn filter is "probably" not going to harm anything, but in the same breath say they won't use Purolator again. For those that do still use them, please continue to cut & post your findings!

Wow! That's clever, do a selective cut and paste to support your position. At least be honest, I merely showed pictures of my engine that used PureOne oil filters for 70,000 miles. I did not endorse them and I did say I'm now using Fram Ultra and Mobil 1. With your cut and paste about "they're so small they can't stretch far enough to tear" I was speaking about ONLY the Motorcraft FL910S in our Explorer, which I stated but you edited out for your "convenience". And what's this about running the motor for 70,000 miles with a torn filter in bypass then tearing it down to measure the wear. Again I just showed what my engine, at least the head, looked like at 103-106,000 miles running 70,000 miles of it on a PureOne. I neither condemn or endorse Purolater. It's a moot point for me anyway because I can't buy them easily and there are many other quality oil filters now easily available. Obviously you extremely dislike Purolator oil filters, no problem, but don't misuse what I say.

Whimsey

Whimsy - don't be so sensitive and take comments too personally. It wasn't meant to be personal, I was just pointing out that you are showing a motor that ran Purolators for 70K miles, yet don't really know if any were torn - did you cut every one of them open and inspect? And you just showed the cams; what about the main and rod bearings condition where filtration and clean oil matters more. So what does that prove or not?

And yes I talk negative about Purolator filters (like many here also do, some way more than me) because there are many reasons, which the majority of the members here know exists and have been posted about for the last 3 years. Would you use a Purolator if someone sent you one? People can decide what's going on with them and choose a filter of their liking of course, it's still a free country.
wink.gif

Wow! That's clever, do a selective cut and paste to support your position. At least be honest ...

To add, I was talking about Purolator built filters, which MC is part of, and have also shown to have torn media on occasion, but much less prevalent. So have you cut open any of your own oil filters regardless of the brand?

One error here is Purolator makes several grades and several designs of oil filters. The Boss has never shown a tear although not many use them. The way it's made, I would say it won't tear. The ADBV type that protrudes into the filters end cap rather than sitting on a protruding collar, seems also OK, no cuts. A member here tested the Purolator ADBV and swore up and down that it held oil very well. Leaving for inspection on all Purolators besides Tearolators and ADBV Cutolators:

1. louvers, closed or open.
2. bypass valve, centered or off center in recess, on some types
3. end caps that pop off the glue and are loose (can't check before purchase)

So it takes a little more work to buy a good Purolator oil filter.

laugh.gif
34.gif

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

Who really knows what goes on inside the engine when a media tear happens - each occurrence is a unique situation. When media tears it's also possible pieces of media can come loose, along with continuous unfiltered oil of course. Some engines might have suffered, but nobody will know because no motor actually "blew up", as far as this forum knows. Engines will still run Ok with some minor damage, and only a tear down would divulge any damage or not.

But still not a good enough reason for me personally to play "Tearolator Roulette". Others can play, and I'll jusr watch.
grin.gif

So stop with the Tearolator roulette horse [censored].

You've spent nearly a decade perpetuating this myth.

No one has had a problem with Purolator damage except you in your REM dream state.

Your hypothetical damage scenario is not valid as filtration provided by even a damaged Purolator is sufficient to protect an engine.

So show me the [censored] proof or stop spreading this piece of FRAM marketing propaganda.

Who [bleeped] in your Wheates this morning and put you into personal attack mode?
lol.gif

How about you prove nothing whatsoever happened to every engine that had a torn Purolator on it. I see you'll never give up your fanboy status of failing junk - you must own stock in the compamy.

And exactly how is talking about torn media a "Fram marketing campaign", the word wasn't mentioned by me - you been drinking heavily tonight? If anything, it's a campaign to NOT use junk!

And you have no sense of time because Tearolators haven't been around for 10 years, more like about 3, which is about 2.9 years too long. Plus, I was one of the biggest advocates of Purolators until they started failing (go read my posts from 5 years ago), but sorry to say I don't do fanboy based on brand, but instead based on quality, reliability and performance - unlike blind fanboys.

+1 ZeeOSix

I wonder if my engine is going to remove itself from under the hood being it has a MC oil filter on it?
grin.gif
crackmeup2.gif

(Pretend the oil is a Motorcraft oil filter causing the engine to do what it did)

https://youtu.be/wM00FOd56oU

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

I wonder if my engine is going to remove itself from under the hood being it has a MC oil filter on it?
grin.gif
crackmeup2.gif

(Pretend the oil is a Motorcraft oil filter causing the engine to do what it did)

As I said, I have ran FL-910S and FL400S and they held up fine. BUT; seeing a MC FL820S that was torn is disturbing don't you think

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

grin.gif
crackmeup2.gif

As I said, I have ran FL-910S and FL400S and they held up fine. BUT; seeing a MC FL820S that was torn is disturbing don't you think

The torn filter spreadsheet also had an FL-910S and a couple FL-400S listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back