ok to use M1 5-30 EP

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I sent my wife to pick up some oil and a filter while she was out doing some shopping. I asked her to get M1 5w-30, but she mistakenly picked up M15w-30 EP instead.

The oil has the Starburst, and meets GM6094M. So there should be no problem as far as my warranty is concerned. I don't plan on doing an extended OCI with this oil. Will probably change it out between 7-8k.

I just wanted to make sure it's ok to use...though I don't see why it wouldn't be. Never hurts to ask though.

It's going in an '09 Silverado 5.3.

Thanks!

Its a great oil, but a little excessive for a factory OCI. Take it back and get some conventional to run for 5000 miles. Then take the savings and get lunch.

He said his interval is 7-8k miles.

M1 EP oils are great.

Not everyone is looking to save a buck.

Sounds to me like your wife's mistake was a good one. I'd say thanks. It might have cost you a little more, but you'll be fine. Factor in the cost of gas and time to return it, and you'll be losing money bringing it back. Use it up!

The part that worries me is that you sent your wife to buy some oil!!
grin2.gif

The EP is a good product, use it with no worries :)

I totally agree with some of the other comments here. Mobil 1 EP is excellent oil. If there is one oil I feel totally secure going for a full year on short trips, it's EP. I use it in my 1994 Thunderbird (4.6) and I drive this car only about 7,000 miles per year, mostly round trips of around eight miles total. The added "supersyn" will keep the oil performing at its best for longer than standard Mobil 1 (according to Mobil's website). Oh, and Ford guys know that Motorcraft is the best choice for filters for our Fords. No rattles and excellent filtration!
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the help!

I didn't really wanna make a trip to return it if it wasn't necessary. Not too worried about a few bucks to be honest.

Originally Posted By: Roadtrash
So I sent my wife to pick up some oil and a filter while she was out doing some shopping...

Freshman mistake. If you're not a freshman, then you have no excuse.

Originally Posted By: ericthepig
Originally Posted By: Roadtrash
So I sent my wife to pick up some oil and a filter while she was out doing some shopping...

Freshman mistake. If you're not a freshman, then you have no excuse.

yep....no excuse then...other than she happened to be out.

I won't let it happen again!
55.gif

Just got done with a 9,200 OCI on my Grand Prix with the exact same oil. Use it with confidence it continues to serve me well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back