OK to use Dex VI in place of ATF+4 P/S?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Dodge that uses ATF+4 for the power steering. I've noticed that when it is really cold, the power steering pump makes some noise like it is fighting the super cold +4 in the system. I understand that the Dex VI is a lower viscosity fluid, and I was thinking it may do better in the bitter cold than the +4. Would this be OK to use? Or would I be opening IP problems?

I think you have the right idea. Mine gets a bit noisy when it gets real cold. I replaced my reservoir per advice from a Chrysler minivan site and it did get better for awhile. Some reservoirs have a fine mesh filter built in that can clog and seems to impede flow of the fluid in the cold. I think the Dex VI might be just what it needs. I may have to try that myself.

It should be fine, power steering systems aren't depending on specific coefficient of frictions like the transmission, it's basically acting as a hydraulic fluid in the ps system.

If you want something with good cold flow properties try Mobil 1 ATF or Maxlife ATF.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
It should be fine, power steering systems aren't depending on specific coefficient of frictions like the transmission, it's basically acting as a hydraulic fluid in the ps system.

If you want something with good cold flow properties try Mobil 1 ATF or Maxlife ATF.

+1 on both counts.

A good synthetic ATF will help quite a bit. I'm using Mag1 synthetic atf in one vehicle's AT and two PS systems now, and it's quite good, too. if the vehicle is older, another thing I've done to quieten/clean the systems is add some SeaFoam for a day's worth of driving before changing the fluid.

here's a simple way to pump out the system instead of just partially filling via suction or pumping the reservoir:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/107-ca...ice-needed.html

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
I have a Dodge that uses ATF+4 for the power steering. I've noticed that when it is really cold, the power steering pump makes some noise like it is fighting the super cold +4 in the system. I understand that the Dex VI is a lower viscosity fluid, and I was thinking it may do better in the bitter cold than the +4. Would this be OK to use? Or would I be opening IP problems?

Use what is recommended. ATF 4 is a synthetic and should be fine. You might have some air in the system or the pump is hurting a little. The factory fill was likely some earlier version of ATF and it likely worked fine then. I have ATF4 in my system and it is quiet. I would leave it alone unless you are losing power assist.

As far as low temperature is concerned they are not that different. ATF +4 is measured as 9,980 cP @ -40C DEXRON-VI is measured as 11,500 cP at the same temperature. Not different in terms of test repeatability.
If you want something better, that is readily available, you could take a look at Pentosin CHF 202. That is measured as 1,354 cP @ -40C.
A further point in response to some of the previous comments is that ATF +4 is HC (check the spec) and the majority of DEXRON-VI fluids are also Group III.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I failed the BITOG acronym test. What does HC mean?

Sorry, Hydrocracked. Group II+, Group III.

Last edited:
I suctioned out both my vehicles and put in Amsoil multi vehicle ATF. Not the low viscosity stuff. I did several suction and refills. All but took away the whine on a cold morning for both. Usually below -25c ambient will it make a bit of noise for a few seconds. Have had it in for a over 2 years now. Works great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back