OK to use API CH-4 on an old fashioned gasoline engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I'm new at this board. The data on this whole site really amazed me. You can't find many places to ask such a 'veird' question.

It has been discussed at various places that an diesel oils are designed to withstand with higher pressures, higher levels of oxidation, and have better detergency.

I have this tiny (2.8lt-173cu.in) old fashioned Canadian V6 GM for all of my driving, no catalytic converter, carburated and has hydraulic valve pushers. Does not use any observable amount of oil (5w 30 -either dino or semisynth). But I never exceeded 5K km.s/3K miles with same oil in the carter. Very nice engine and I want to use it as long as I can. Unfortunately I have to do many miles of stop-go and short trips besides the 70+ mph hiways on a humid coastal area.

Anyway, I found a real cheap dino 10w 30 diesel only (API CH-4) marketed as brand Ford (yep, the blue oval...which makes me think it has more than trace amount of moly:)). But no API S_ standardization is stated on the bottle... Somewhere I've heard that the diesel oils are preferrable for classics and old ones which used rarely. I would like to stock some of this oil while it is avaible and cheap. So, do you think can/should I use this oil? Without sacrificing any benefits of a standard SJ dino? Remember no catalitic conv. and HC levels on exhauts are already low (~255 ppm on cold engine before a tune-up due). No residues, engine is clean I guess, after 3K miles oil is still translucent (if not transparent) with some brown tint.

In my area 5/30s are pricey because very few cars requires it (you know...supply/demand trivia). Besides 10/30 is almost impossible to find to use in the summer. Last summer it hit ~90+F (40C) several times.

I'd appreciate any insights... Hope I didn't bored you with too much detail. In short I just wonder if CH-4 dino could be used on an old fashioned spark ign. engine.

Opps, sorry, I should have missed this one from Dr. T... What made me to worry and ask was that there wasn't any S_ standard mentioned on the bottle.

posted October 07, 2002 12:34 AM
----------------------------------
"First I'd like to address Patman's post re: Delvac use in a gasoline engine...my owner's manual says: "oils labelled as diesel engine oils CE/CH or higher may also be used as a substitute for SE/SH" (owner's manual from 1994).

Secondly, I don't own and have never owned a motorcycle but, don't bikes have a "wet clutch" system that requires "motorcylce" oils for this reason?"
----------------------------------

Since this car asks for SF, I think it's clearly OK to use very cheap CH-4 10w 30. Now heading to store.
fruit.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back