OK So What Are The Real Life Differences In Bidirectional Scan Tools

I see The Car Care Nut did a review last month on the Xtools D7, says it does realistically anything Tecstream2 will do for the weekend warrior. Im in the market , finally for something that does more than read codes . What I don't like about this rig is the yearly annual update for $100. Yea sure for a shop but I don't buy new cars like some guys change their shorts. I don't mind doing the $100 update every few years when I actually need it but don't want to get into somebody's regular revenue stream for a once in a while need. Ive yet to se any explanation of how this actually works, anybody??????? Additionally I see it seems to have very few reviews which is always a question mark .
So how does it compare to the others in the under $500 class? I see Humzor has 9 " Special Functions" and has ffee updates. and costs considerably less. There are a couple others I saw after looking around offering 8 or so again free updates.for $100 less. Im confused......
Im not trying to low ball here as I can easily afford the better ones. What I don't want is to get something akin to a an 80s VCR that is painful to use because it does 1000 things that no normal person would ever want to use and I don't want a regular demanded subscription. Whats the deal with these thingso_O opinions, advice..........

You got me beat.. I'm a mechanical technician and own three fords. I bought at FORscan lead for my laptop with hopes of exploiting all its features.. Which apparently all diagnostic codes. When I downloaded it I was pretty sure it had programming features also, my mistake.

I'd like to get into tuning at a light level testing it on my older vehicles. Honestly without reading tons of posts it seem impossible to obtain the knowledge and equipment to get the job done.

And upfront cost plus $100 a year is crazy, unless you're in a shop where you use the tool every day, using the "paid" function.

I've used xtool devices in the past, specifically the one for VW brands (Vw. Audi, Skoda, and a few others) its was basically a copy/clone of the RossTech vcds and worked really well, but you had to know what you were doing, and reading the chinese to english instructions on inital set up was the hardest part.

You got me beat.. I'm a mechanical technician and own three fords. I bought at FORscan lead for my laptop with hopes of exploiting all its features.. Which apparently all diagnostic codes. When I downloaded it I was pretty sure it had programming features also, my mistake.

I'd like to get into tuning at a light level testing it on my older vehicles. Honestly without reading tons of posts it seem impossible to obtain the knowledge and equipment to get the job done.

And upfront cost plus $100 a year is crazy, unless you're in a shop where you use the tool every day, using the "paid" function.

Can you expand on your FORscan and laptop option, what is it that you like or do not like about this set up?

I was thing of doing what you did but was going to add other programs like Vagcom for Audi/ VW, Vida for Volvo's etc

I have a mid-range Autel 906bt that's maybe 2 or 3 years old and have not done updates since the one year free updates expired. Not paying $600 for that. What's the point? I'm not working on current or one year old cars anyway. Would make more sense to sell it and buy a new one.

AutoEnginuity is bi-dirrectional. You can buy manufacturer specific codes as an add-on. I do not believe you need to buy updates every year. Probably can go a few years in-between updates.

I also have Forscan which I used to program keyfob.

If I had only a Ford I would certainly very Forscan.

Can you expand on your FORscan and laptop option, what is it that you like or do not like about this set up?

I was thing of doing what you did but was going to add other programs like Vagcom for Audi/ VW, Vida for Volvo's etc
Its a program for Fords that interfaces with the computer, its very basic but supposedly shows all functions of the ECU, PCM, and other on board computers. You literally have to plug it in to get the programs to run. Download is free, OBD cord was 43$.
I never even tried the program, I literally haven't had the time (but yeah, I'm on here).
I would love to get a high quality program that can enter and alter values, and other premium access. I found a very decent program for something stupid like $100 a month. Just wish there was a "lite" version.
Maybe with the post I would (we) would get some recommendations?

Its a program for Fords that interfaces with the computer, its very basic but supposedly shows all functions of the ECU, PCM, and other on board computers. You literally have to plug it in to get the programs to run. Download is free, OBD cord was 43$.
I never even tried the program, I literally haven't had the time (but yeah, I'm on here).
I would love to get a high quality program that can enter and alter values, and other premium access. I found a very decent program for something stupid like $100 a month. Just wish there was a "lite" version.

I heard that Forscan can do a lot of stuff that pricier scanners can do and also other options that are more specific to Ford cars.

I does have a learning curve that one needs to get over to get the best out of the program.

The key point here is that XTool provides complimentary updates for 3 years... It's only after that when the $100 for a year of update access applies. Yes, I own an Xtool D7.

The key point here is that XTool provides complimentary updates for 3 years... It's only after that when the $100 for a year of update access applies. Yes, I own an Xtool D7.
thanks. I guess my big question with these is just how badly if at all you need to update at all if you aren't buying new cars all the time. Im totally new to using these things but can see them as something along the lines of those old code readers back 20 years ago. Eventually you just need the things and they do make life easier. I just don't want to get involved in the "Annual renewal" crap that companies are so fond of today. Im happy tossing them a bill if and when I actually need it though for later cars ect .

thanks. I guess my big question with these is just how badly if at all you need to update at all if you aren't buying new cars all the time. Im totally new to using these things but can see them as something along the lines of those old code readers back 20 years ago. Eventually you just need the things and they do make life easier. I just don't want to get involved in the "Annual renewal" crap that companies are so fond of today. Im happy tossing them a bill if and when I actually need it though for later cars ect .
The update I did included some new features for specific vehicles, such as additional vehicles that it can program keys for. As well as adding new 2022 etc vehicles.

I have Forscan too and am just getting around to playing with it... I believe you can change some settings and alter values but you need the extended license - a month free trial is offered for those features btw..

Scanners have become nuts to wade through. So many models from every mfg and even if you narrow down to bidirectional, there are dozens of models all seeming to pick and choose what functions they can activate. It is a mess.

Some of the cheapest bidirectional scanners are made by Foxwell, and again you have to look at the specific functions to get what you want.

Scanners have become nuts to wade through. So many models from every mfg and even if you narrow down to bidirectional, there are dozens of models all seeming to pick and choose what functions they can activate. It is a mess.
Of course it is, they want you to buy multiple tools every time you run into a new car/ problem.

Forscan is not good

if you’re a tech get IDS. just know the latest versions and FRDS are all pay up or pay to pirate

Back