Ok, so it's a noob question, but hey... I did do a search..

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, noob question.

What is the difference between German Castrol and "regular" castrol? What is the difference between Green and Gold?

Also, I hear the OEM oil for BMW is Castrol.. is this true?

German Castrol is 0w30 (MADE IN GERMANY). All other Castrol (betsides 5w40 I think) is made in USA (group III)

German Castrol (Group IV?) is a highly rated oil that performs better than amsoil in some engines. Regular Castroil is a group III oil (hydrocracked/dino with boat loads of additives).

Difference between Green and Gold GC is that Green was the "old" formulation COLOR of the oil (open the cap and the oil is neon green). The new formulation (equal if not better to green) is Gold colored.

As for BMW OEM oil - My friend with a 330ci is going in for an oil change. I asked him to ask the mechanic for the used bottle. I'll let you guys know what I find. Friend won't go in for another 5,000 miles. (One of those: BMW engine can "handle" 30,000 miles on one oil change types).

thanks for the info...

I know BMW oil comes in a BMW bottle, but i heard some time back that it's castrol oil in those bottles for like 4.50 a qt.

Also, I think I would like to try some GC on my next oil change... what does the packaging look like? Anyone bother to take a pic?

Thanks!

I've got a bottle of the BMW oil right here in front of me. The only info that might be meaningful that I can see is that it is ACEA A3/B3 and API SJ/CF. I have had this bottle for probably a year, so things might have changed. It is a 5W-30.

Pic of the rear of the GC bottle:
 -

Other pics of the green GC:
 -

-

-

-

Even more pics floating around if you do some digging. And yes, the 5w-30 BMW oil is made by Castrol.

From what I understand, you should be able to purchaase the BMW 5w-30 from any BMW parts department. I highly doubt they'd ask for proof of BMW ownership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back