Ok so is 1600 miles per quart good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Miller88
My Cherokee leaked about a quart in 1000 miles once. Turns out that it was caused by part of the oil filter housing being lose.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: oneraggedhole
For your vehicle with that mileage, yeah, I'd say that's pretty good.

I have a '03 Cavalier that is 5 quarts in and 5 quarts out. I run that to work during the week.

I have an '09 Routan with the 3.8L V6 @ 40K miles running 5W30 and it's about 1400 miles to a quart. For the 3.8L Chrysler that is great.

My Caddy with a 4.6L Northstar goes about 1600 miles to a quart.

My parents had a 3.8 in their last (ever) jeep wrangler. It got 650 miles out of a quart towards the end! It got to the point that they stopped buying individual quarts of oil and just bought the 5 quart jugs. My parents will never buy another Chrysler or Jeep product.

They probably had one of the 3.8L engines that was assembled with the piston rings upside down. It was a known problem with the many of the Mexican assembled 3.8L V6 engines unfortunately.

What kept them from buying another one was the lack of response on Chrysler's part. "That's normal".

I told them to keep 6 quarts of my 5w-20 waste oil (same brand as the dealer uses) and run the engine dry and let it grenade. Then when it blows up ,dump in the 6 quarts so they can't blame my parents for running it dry.

It had a lifetime warranty, but Chrysler wouldn't do anything because it was "normal".

My father wanted to switch to a 10w30 or 10w40 in it ... but the owners manual says 5w-20 ONLY. If they ran 10w30 and it grenaded ... no doubt Chrysler would have blamed it on the 10w30

I've talked to engineers as well as people in the industry and most, if not all, say the move to 5w20 is for fuel economy only.

In fact, I've read that oil grade recommendations are different in the north American market versus overseas.

I'm more than comfortable with the 5w30 I have in it.

The 3.4 in our 2001 impala for years did not loose any oil. Then it lost a quart every 2K miles when using Mobil drive clean 5W-30.

I changed to GC and after 300 miles on the first fill with GC is stopped loosing any. This second fill of GC has 7900 miles on it and still reads full.

You might want to try GC and see if after 300 miles it stops using oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back