Ok so is 1600 miles per quart good

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '02 Envoy had a leak (crankshaft cam cap thingy) that I replaced because it was leaking a quart every 700 miles at the end. Now that it's been replaced and there's no external leaks, is 1600 miles per quart considered good for an '02 vehicle with 203,000 miles on it? Just using dino 5w30 by the way Pennzoil YB for those wondering

Well if it was a new car and you brought it in complaining of oil use they'd send you packing telling you it was normal. In fact if you were burning a qt. of oil/1,000 miles they'd tell you its normal. Some people were told 800 miles to a qt. of oil is normal. Its not something I'd be happy with. Try another brand of oil, try changing your PCV valve, if you do just use an OEM replacement part.

I'm currently getting around 1300 miles per quart added in a car with only 116k on it, so that would be good to me.

I believe it.s wrong to discuss oilconsumption as a generel thing covering every engine buildt. Some engines will have a tendensee to use more oil then others. Examle if an engine is build wiyh low tension piston rings, turbo , high compression. Also hard driving will make the engine use more oil.

to get a good answer. Ask people with the same engine. I dont think it is very much.

Sorry for the bad english :)
Søren

IMO its not terrible...ive seen better than that and worse than that but all in all if its got that many miles and you check it regualarly theres no harm in topping off once in a while

For your vehicle with that mileage, yeah, I'd say that's pretty good.

I have a '03 Cavalier that is 5 quarts in and 5 quarts out. I run that to work during the week.

I have an '09 Routan with the 3.8L V6 @ 40K miles running 5W30 and it's about 1400 miles to a quart. For the 3.8L Chrysler that is great.

My Caddy with a 4.6L Northstar goes about 1600 miles to a quart.

Originally Posted By: oneraggedhole

I have a '03 Cavalier that is 5 quarts in and 5 quarts out. I run that to work during the week.

I have an '09 Routan with the 3.8L V6 @ 40K miles running 5W30 and it's about 1400 miles to a quart. For the 3.8L Chrysler that is great.

My parents had a 3.8 in their last (ever) jeep wrangler. It got 650 miles out of a quart towards the end! It got to the point that they stopped buying individual quarts of oil and just bought the 5 quart jugs. My parents will never buy another Chrysler or Jeep product.

Last edited:
A couple of things to look at regarding oil consumption:

Is it fouling the spark-plugs? If so then the oil consumption is pretty bad.

Is it leaving a cloud of blue smoke behind you vehicle?

Is it causing oil to burn off of hot spots of the engine like the exhaust, and cause the people in the vehicle to have to breath the fumes of burnt off oil?

Is it so bad that who ever is driving / taking care of the vehicle may forget to add oil for a long enough time that the engine may run out of oil?

If it is just burning the oil with the gasoline and not causing any of the above problems then I would say live with it, there are a lot of more serious problems you could have with a vehicle that are not related to oil.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

My parents had a 3.8 in their last (ever) jeep wrangler. It got 650 miles out of a quart towards the end! It got to the point that they stopped buying individual quarts of oil and just bought the 5 quart jugs. My parents will never buy another Chrysler or Jeep product.

They probably had one of the 3.8L engines that was assembled with the piston rings upside down. It was a known problem with the many of the Mexican assembled 3.8L V6 engines unfortunately.

I wouldnt say its horrible but its a bit alot.

On up side, you can "extend" your OCI since you keep putting in new oil
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: AnarchyX
... there's no external leaks, is 1600 miles per quart considered good for an '02 vehicle with 203,000 miles on it? Just using dino 5w30 by the way Pennzoil YB for those wondering
No external leaks? Which means it's likely burning the oil? As previously mentioned, if you're not seeing blue smoke out of your tail pipe.......I wouldn't worry about it....

But it does pose a concern though, if there's no external leak, it's gotta be giving the cat converter a work out
wink.gif

That being said, my 88 Aries can go 5k with less than 1 qt of 5W-30
smile.gif
Conventional, HM, Synth....thrown a little bit of everything at it for top off....but typical OCI is QSGB.....with about a pint of MMO as "top off" when it hits the add mark.

I know someone made a statement months ago, something to the sense, that if you're adding more fluid, than it would cost to fix the problem.....may as well "fix" the problem, unless it's not worth fixing
wink.gif
But with car prices the way they are now (hard to find anything good, used, under 3k) may be better off just fixing it and taking it for the long haul.

My Cherokee leaked about a quart in 1000 miles once. Turns out that it was caused by part of the oil filter housing being lose.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Miller88

They probably had one of the 3.8L engines that was assembled with the piston rings upside down. It was a known problem with the many of the Mexican assembled 3.8L V6 engines unfortunately.

What kept them from buying another one was the lack of response on Chrysler's part. "That's normal".

I told them to keep 6 quarts of my 5w-20 waste oil (same brand as the dealer uses) and run the engine dry and let it grenade. Then when it blows up ,dump in the 6 quarts so they can't blame my parents for running it dry.

It had a lifetime warranty, but Chrysler wouldn't do anything because it was "normal".

If the engine is using a quart every 1600 miles and this remains pretty constant, I'd say its neither good nor bad.
It is what it is.
Some members have noted much higher consumption in highway use with certain engines.
I'd therefore keep a close eye on the oil level on highway trips, just to ensure that you catch any dramatic increase which might be seen.
Just keep oil in the engine and it will likely run for many more miles.

Originally Posted By: AnarchyX
My '02 Envoy had a leak (crankshaft cam cap thingy) that I replaced because it was leaking a quart every 700 miles at the end. Now that it's been replaced and there's no external leaks, is 1600 miles per quart considered good for an '02 vehicle with 203,000 miles on it? Just using dino 5w30 by the way Pennzoil YB for those wondering

Have you thought about trying a Piston Soak?

Right, I haven't even bothered with the dealer route. I think 700 miles per quart is what they consider normal on the 3.8L.

The 5W20 is too light for the 3.8L. It was introduced in '90 or '91 in the New Yorker and I believe they recommended 10W30 at the time.

I've used the 5W30 since we've owned it. I may step it up to 10w30 for summer driving.

The 3.8L is notorious for oil consumption, and not just those assembled in Mexico, as are certain Northstars.

Live and learn I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back