Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Al:

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
The pool where my wife lifeguards as a summer job (paid pool membership
grin.gif
) the water was 88°F.

Actually 88 will keep you comfortable. Once you get above 90 its not as refreshing but in the morning with the cooler air its great. This summer my pool got up to 91.8 that's the highest it has ever gotten by almost 2 degrees
shocked.gif
(in the 22 years that I have had the pool). Interesting thing thing is that the air temps were only 96 to 97. I have said lately that the atmosphere has changed to allow more UV through it. This seems to be at least anectodal confirmation.

You can add sales of SPF 30+ to your anecdotal evidence list
grin.gif

88 isn't bad as long as you're not in direct sunshine (for me anyway). You're not uncomfortable otherwise ..but it does give me the impression of staying in the bathtub too long with lukewarm water.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by brianl703:
Is it true that unincorporated areas in Texas have no building codes at all (because there are no statewide codes)?

Someone can correct me, but I have seen "solutions" that make for deathtraps, so you may be correct. Counties (254 of them) have some, but not a lot, of authority here. Common sense is said to be the dividing line.

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
We use one of those silvered shade screens that you put on the inside of the window when you park. They are a godsend and really protect the dash. I wonder why you rarely see them
dunno.gif

They take a small amount of effort to install and remove. Next question?
grin.gif

I use one year round. Got it through the dealer. $50 with case. Nice, hard-backed, easy to use.

My old Chrysler had an aftermarket temp gauge stuck on the lower dash face, out of the sun. It maxed at 160F. It would go past that point in 20" on a hot day with the windows half-open.

Well, all you US taxpayers will love this twist on the heat: As many of you know, I'm back on active duty in the Marines, a reservist recalled from civilian life. During the week, I live in government quarters on base, at Naval Support Activity, New Orleans. The accomodations are decent, maybe a tad above Motel-6 level. Nothing special, but very livable.

Except for the air conditioning. For months, it's been in full, 110% runaway overload, "I'm trying to freeze you to death" mode. I've reported it to base authorities nearly a dozen times, and all I ever get is the "yeah, we'll get to it" type of response. Keep in mind, I'm a Colonel -- I can only imagine how they treat our Corporals.

Anyway, I've given up on these idiots, and I bought a space heater. With it going full-blast, it just barely counters the runaway full-blast AC. My room is at 72.4*F as I type this.

Imagine, New Orleans in August, while people are heat stroking across the country, and I'm running a ^%$#*&^ space heater to stave off hypothermia!!!

And of course, I'm a taxpayer too -- and I find this outrageous. How long could/would such go on at a hotel that was trying to make an actual profit???????
pat.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:
Well, all you US taxpayers will love this twist on the heat: As many of you know, I'm back on active duty in the Marines, a reservist recalled from civilian life. During the week, I live in government quarters on base, at Naval Support Activity, New Orleans. The accomodations are decent, maybe a tad above Motel-6 level. Nothing special, but very livable.

Except for the air conditioning. For months, it's been in full, 110% runaway overload, "I'm trying to freeze you to death" mode. I've reported it to base authorities nearly a dozen times, and all I ever get is the "yeah, we'll get to it" type of response. Keep in mind, I'm a Colonel -- I can only imagine how they treat our Corporals.

Anyway, I've given up on these idiots, and I bought a space heater. With it going full-blast, it just barely counters the runaway full-blast AC. My room is at 72.4*F as I type this.

Can partially block the AC duct outlet?

Tried that already. After mummifying the frame of the outlet with roughly a half-roll of duct tape, it served only to make the thing howl loudly, but it reduced the flow some. A couple days later, blew off, and it was back to the same.

quote:

Originally posted by Al:

quote:

Originally posted by Matt_S:
The AC works SO much better when the car hasn't been baking in the sun all day.

We use one of those silvered shade screens that you put on the inside of the window when you park. They are a godsend and really protect the dash. I wonder why you rarely see them
dunno.gif

Yeah, they are a Godsend, those fold-out silver windshield sunshades. I would not even dare to get in the car on a hot summer day if not for them. Before I got them, there was many a time when I got in, put my hands on the steering wheel, and darn near had those same hands burned clean off. People 3 blocks away could hear my screams!!!!!! :)

ekpolk,
guess that's part of the news I got sent today.

Welcome to PEi Digest. It would have been fascinating to be a fly on the wall at the climate change meeting this week between top world business leaders and prominent politicians. These included British Prime Minister Tony Blair, Virgin boss Richard Branson, Google founder Sergey Brin and California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. The event was hosted by BP, no doubt as part of its strategy to be seen, not as an old-fashioned oil company, but rather as a developer of clean sustainable fuels. Did anyone, I wonder, ask Arnie if he was still driving his massive gas-guzzling Hummer? Was Branson reminded of his various self-indulgent world record attempts that must have burnt up much fossil fuel? The answer is - probably not. In any event, if the initiative raises awareness and helps to change policies to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, then it will have been worthwhile. I guess any fly on the wall would have stood little chance anyway with The Terminator present. PEi Digest will be taking a summer break, but rest assured, “I'll be back!”
Nigel Blackaby, On-Line Editor, PEi magazine

:: HEADLINES ::
::
Fuel shortage forces closure of Ratnagiri

CHP plant in UK to expand

GCC electricity grid in five years

BP hosts Blair and Schwarzenegger climate change meeting

Nuclear power parts manufacturing to restart in US

Mirant secures power contract with PG&E

Alstom wins fourth Spanish CCGT from Gas Natural

Report outlines trends in power equipment servicing

Excelsior's IGCC project moves ahead

BC Hydro awards energy contracts

PG&E adds more geothermal energy to electric mix

PacifiCorp purchases Leaning Juniper 1 Wind Project

US breaks weekly demand record for electricity

ABB Q2 profits rise

Siemens extends I&C deal with Doosan

Fuel shortage forces closure of Ratnagiri
2 August 2006 - Power production at India's Ratnagiri Gas & Power plant, formerly Dabhol Power, stopped in early, the Indian federal power minister, Sushil Kumar Shinde, told India's upper house of Parliament.

CHP plant in UK to expand
2 August 2006 - Permission has been granted for the ConocoPhillips combined heat and power station plant at Immingham North Lincolnshire in the UK to increase capacity.

GCC electricity grid in five years
2 August 2006 - The electricity grid which will connect the six GCC states is expected to be completed by 2010, according to a report by the GCC Interconnection Authority.

BP hosts Blair and Schwarzenegger climate change meeting
1 August 2004 - UK Prime Minister Tony Blair and Californian Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger joined a select group of prominent CEOs and business leaders from leading California and international companies at a roundtable discussion at Pebble Beach, California to share ideas on how business and government can work together to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

Nuclear power parts manufacturing to restart in US
1 August 2006 - UniStar Nuclear, the jointly developed enterprise of Constellation Energy and AREVA, today announced that AREVA NP Inc. and BWX Technologies, Inc, a subsidiary of McDermott International, Inc., have signed an agreement that will re-establish commercial nuclear power plant component manufacturing in the United States and will support the UniStar business model and future fleet of nuclear power plants in North America.

Mirant secures power contract with PG&E
1 August 2006 - Mirant Corporation announced today that it has signed two contracts with Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) to provide electricity from its natural gas fired Pittsburg and Contra Costa power plants located near San Francisco, California.

Alstom wins fourth Spanish CCGT from Gas Natural
31 July 2006 - Alstom has won contracts worth more than €300m ($382m) with Spanish utility Gas Natural to build, operate and maintain a 400 MW combined cycle power plant in Malaga, Spain.

Report outlines trends in power equipment servicing
31 July 2006 - Services markets in the power generation equipment sectors across Europe are contributing to increased growth potential for turbine manufacturers, according to a new report from Frost & Sullivan. The report sees the growing services markets, particularly in the gas turbines arena, as offering enhanced scope to service providers, as profit margins continue to outpace those in the new equipment business.

Excelsior's IGCC project moves ahead
31 July 2006 -- Excelsior Energy Inc. has filed applications for required preconstruction permits with the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission (MPUC) and other state agencies for the first two phases of the Mesaba Energy Project, a 1212 MW integrated gasification combined cycle (IGCC) electric power generating station, which will be located on the Iron Range of northeastern Minnesota.

BC Hydro awards energy contracts
28 July 2006 - BC Hydro announced yesterday the results of the 2006 Open Call for Power, awarding 38 contracts to independent power producers throughout the province with the majority going to new hydro projects. According to BC Hydro, the projects will help to meet growing demand for electricity in the region by adding more than 7000 GWh per year to BC Hydro's system.

PG&E adds more geothermal energy to electric mix
28 July 2006 - Pacific Gas and Electric Co. announced it has entered into contracts with IAE Truckhaven I, LLC and Northwest Geothermal Company to purchase up to a total of 169 MW of renewable geothermal energy resources to help meet its customers' future electricity needs.

PacifiCorp purchases Leaning Juniper 1 Wind Project
28 July 2006 - PacifiCorp has purchased from PPM Energy the Leaning Juniper 1 wind energy generation facility, located about three miles southwest of Arlington, Oregon, US. When completed in August 2006, the Leaning Juniper 1 facility will have a generating capability of 100.5 MW, which will become part of the resource mix used to supply electricity to PacifiCorp's 1.6 million customers in six Western states.

27 July 2006 - US demand for electricity reached an all-time record last week amid a national heat wave as US utilities delivered 96 314 GWh of electricity for the week ending July 22, surpassing by more than 1 per cent last year's record of 95 259 GWh (set during the week ending July 23, 2005), according to the Edison Electric Institute's weekly survey of electric demand.

Back on subject...............

I use the silvered inside windshield sunshade year around. I even put it up when it is raining outside, and 40 degrees. Its one (actually two in a set) of those shades that you twist in a figure eight, flat into a small round to put under the seat. I get in the habit of using it, just like buckling a seatbelt. Takes little effort.

As far as analogy on the heat, "the fish are jumping into the boat....already cooked!!!!!

[ August 04, 2006, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: rusty 63 model ]

Crikey, I posted quickly while at work (cut and pasted out of a PDF news bulletin).

What I really wanted to share was

27 July 2006 - US demand for electricity reached an all-time record last week amid a national heat wave as US utilities delivered 96 314 GWh of electricity for the week ending July 22, surpassing by more than 1 per cent last year's record of 95 259 GWh (set during the week ending July 23, 2005), according to the Edison Electric Institute's weekly survey of electric demand.

That's an average load of 567,000 MW...incredible.

edit...Australia's entire electricity generation in 2003/04 was 2 weeks, three days, 5 hours, and 24 minutes of US record weeks.

[ August 04, 2006, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: Shannow ]

Ahh the wonder of living in what we called 'married quarters'. Spent years living in various standards of accomodation in different countries. When your a kid you put up with what you get as you are none the wiser. I don't remember any havng air-conditioning although it was a long time ago.

"As many of you know, I'm back on active duty in the Marines, a reservist recalled from civilian life."

Thank you for serving our country. I hope things become more comfortable. I too hate being cold and would find it very difficult to sleep half freezing and the air conditioner howling with the thought of stepping outside a warm shower the next morning running through my head. Well, I do hope the shower is warm.

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:
As many of you know, I'm back on active duty in the Marines, a reservist recalled from civilian life.

In case I haven't mentioned it. Thanks again for your service. Even if you are a lawyer.
wink.gif
J/K

quote:

Originally posted by Shannow:

edit...Australia's entire electricity generation in 2003/04 was 2 weeks, three days, 5 hours, and 24 minutes of US record weeks.

I don't think any of us (the majority of the population) have any idea of scale how much we use in terms of resources for around 5+/-% of the global population. It just can't be grasped in the average person's mind.

"I don't think any of us (the majority of the population) have any idea of scale how much we use in terms of resources for around 5+/-% of the global population. It just can't be grasped in the average person's mind."

I wonder if energy use could be equated to the freedom a people enjoy.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Gary I read the intention of your post, but also the population of AUS should be posted as well as the industrial output of the USA.

Well, I just recalled when we had the massive raid on our jobs during the Reagan administration ..and seeing the energy consumption of Japan during the same year long period. They were about 1/5th of our level. Here I thought that they were emptying us out of "work" ..and we were still at 5X their whoopie! party level.

But since you asked, Pablo the figure (google OZ pop) 20,594,325

So with 15X the population (295M) we consumed roughly 26X the power.

quote:

I wonder if energy use could be equated to the freedom a people enjoy.

I dunno
confused.gif
Somewhat, surely. We command such resources because, at least apparently, we can afford them. We can't use some forms of economy like mass transit like most of the Euros can ...so
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back