Ok I might be late but Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been a M1 user since I bought my Highlander 2 years ago.
Any reason to change to Castrol Edge... even thought of Penn Plat too.
I try to use Shell gas also because i believe the TV hype

If you're going to spend 9 dollars a quart on Castrol Edge, why not just go ahead and get the Redline oil for the same price?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Mobil 1
+1. Even with recent price cuts on edge at Walmart, was $34 now $26.50 for the 5 qt jug. I would go with M1.

I use Edge 5W-30 in my Kluger 3.3 V6 which is the same as a Highlander. Believe it or not Edge is 35 Australian dollars for 5 litres whilst the equivalent Mobil 1 is 92 Australian dollars.
I also use the Edge in my Corolla.
Roger

Originally Posted By: KLowD9x
If you're going to spend 9 dollars a quart on Castrol Edge, why not just go ahead and get the Redline oil for the same price?

I am realtively new here and I have to ask, what is the deal with Redline Lubricants? Are they top notch oils? The reason I ask is because I never see them for sale in the stores next to the Mobil 1s, Castrols, Valvolines, Quaker States, etc. It seems you can only get them online. I hate to go through all the trouble of ordering oil online unless it is a great product.

Schaeffer is another company that piques my interest. I guess I just figure they are smaller companies that can't afford to match the massive R&D budgets of the Mobil 1s of the industry so they can't be as good. Is this assumption and line of thinking wrong?

Redline fluids (engine oil, transmission fluid, gear fluid ...) are some of the top fluids you can buy in North America, the only problem is you have to buy it online because very few stores carry it.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Mobil 1 or PP. For Edge price you could run Amsoil.
+1
thumbsup2.gif

For the price, M1 easily over Edge. If price was no issue, I'd take Edge in 5w30 or 10w30 over M1, but would also choose the M1 10w30 "high mileage" over Edge.

If you don't mind a thicker 30wt oil, then GC is the way to go.

Redline is the best oil I have ever used, but I wouldn't bother with it in a street car/daily driver.

Originally Posted By: dsmith41
Originally Posted By: KLowD9x

I am realtively new here and I have to ask, what is the deal with Redline Lubricants? Are they top notch oils? The reason I ask is because I never see them for sale in the stores next to the Mobil 1s, Castrols, Valvolines, Quaker States, etc. It seems you can only get them online. I hate to go through all the trouble of ordering oil online unless it is a great product.

Schaeffer is another company that piques my interest. I guess I just figure they are smaller companies that can't afford to match the massive R&D budgets of the Mobil 1s of the industry so they can't be as good. Is this assumption and line of thinking wrong?

Red Line, Schaeffer's, and Amsoil, are three companies who lubricants aren't well known to the average person who goes into an auto store to get some oil, but all three make excellent products

Since Chinamart had Edge on sale I'm going to give it a try in 2 vehicles. One of them gets short tripped a lot while the other almost lives on the Interstate. Should make for some interesting tests as I've got a good baseline set from using PP for a couple years on them.

I've used M1 oils for 31 years with great success, many high mileage engines. Presently using the EP oils and like them a lot. Have done 2 UOAs with the EP and both showed a few thousand miles left in my OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back