OK, explain grease guns to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, I have tried using google. Either I'm using the wrong search terms (probable) or I'm encountering an entirely unique problem (less likely). In either case, I haven't been able to find helpful information.

So here's my problem: The gun will push out grease, and it seems like a reasonable amount per pump, BUT (and this is a huge but), it needs several minutes in between pump to .... build pressure? If I were to give it a second pump right away, nothing. If I wait maybe 3 minutes, I get no resistance for the first 3/4 of the pump, and so 1/4 pump worth of a pump. I haven't actually timed it, but I have to wait at least 10 minutes after pulling back on the handle before pumping down or else I'm just wasting my time. I know how you're supposed to use a grease gun, but I don't understand quite how it does what it does. Seems more complicated than a caulk gun, and I'm no good at fluid dynamics. Anyway, answer any of the question below that you want to.

Is this an air pocket? It doesn't really seem like the descriptions on the web of what I'd expect.
Do I need to replace some seal or o-rings or something? (It is pretty old, so that wouldn't surprise me.)
Is a new tube of grease likely to solve all this on it's own?
--If that last, and I should just load up a new tube and go through some sort of burping ritual, would I still be *better* to rebuild it to some degree?

Sounds like your gun is worn. You could rebuild it, or just go buy a cheap one at Harbor Freight. I have their most basic one and it holds pressure just fine. Each pump of the trigger will force grease out of the tip. When I'm greasing u-joints, it takes around 4-5 pulls before grease starts spewing out the seals.

Sounds like the internal piston has slipped past the shaft that pushes it. I have worked on a couple of my own(a messy job) but, I finally got them to push out the grease properly.

I know this doesn't tell or show you how to fix your own. You'd have to take it apart and give it a look see. Mine were both slightly different from one another and from about the early 1970s.

I had some Amsoil grease that was to thick to be pushed into the cavity where the piston pushes it into the nozzle unless the grease was 80 degrees F or higher. Same on two different grease guns. Changes to a different (thinner) grease and problem solved. Something to look at.

I know how frustrating this is for you. When I was dealing with these same type issues, I went to YouTube and got my help. Pictures are much better than mere words, at least for me....

Thanks all! Sounds like it is at least possible to rebuild, so I'll give that a shot. Thanks for the piston suggestion, that gives me a place to start looking.

Originally Posted by Gebo
I know how frustrating this is for you. When I was dealing with these same type issues, I went to YouTube and got my help. Pictures are much better than mere words, at least for me....

Youtube has been a godsend for me too. I'm usually pretty good with words, but when it comes to mechanical stuff I have a lot of trouble translating instructions over to what I see. Video of someone doing it is infinitely better. That said, I wasn't really able to find helpful videos on youtube for this. Do you remember any specific ones to point me to?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back