OK all you 5w-20 fans back it up !

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know about all that, but I retrofitted the 5w20 (as ford suggests) to my 98 pickup and expedition. Better mileage, better throttle response been in there for a while in some pretty hot weather. Seat of the pants (yea very subjective) tells me its fine. I'll eat crow publicly when one of the engine fries
rolleyes.gif

Till then, Its 20 for me.
cheers.gif

Don't forget that a 20 weight oil is not the same as a 20W oil and any weight/viscosity oil has an accepatble range and not just a dot on the viscosity curve. I know that Ford has a specific speification for approving a 0w20 oil. If the manufacture says 0W20 is the correct oil to used based on real data then I use it. No self appointed expert or dealer service apprentice is going to change the factory recomendation for me. eddie

No self appointed expert or dealer service apprentice is going to change the factory recomendation for me. eddie

Eddie,

Then whats the point of this site? Why are you even here?

If I decide to run a 5w30 for cold starting (about the only reason I would do it) it's going to be synthetic so that there will be minimal viscosity index improvers--most likely less than in a 10w30 dino.

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:
Since most 5w20's are very shear stable.........I don't see much difference in an running a 5w20, vs a 5w30 that quickly shears to a 20.

This is exactly what I've said on here a lot also. And even if that 5w30 dino doesn't shear, most of them are only 10cst. So how is that much different than a 5w20 which is 9.0 cst?

quote:

Originally posted by Eddie:
Don't forget that a 20 weight oil is not the same as a 20W oil and any weight/viscosity oil has an accepatble range and not just a dot on the viscosity curve. I know that Ford has a specific speification for approving a 0w20 oil. If the manufacture says 0W20 is the correct oil to used based on real data then I use it. No self appointed expert or dealer service apprentice is going to change the factory recomendation for me. eddie

cool.gif
Ford guy JohnnyO pulls out ball bat to further pound dead horse:
Ford 5w-20 Applications
Good points Eddie. You'll need Adobe Acrobat to read the link.

so i guess no one has a 200K mile car on a 20 oil then? havent 20 weight oils been around sence the 80's?

whats up with that.

Straight weight 20-20w motor oils have been around since I can remember which would be the mid 60's. In 65 I was 11 and stocking the oil rack at my dad's shop with 20-20w oil when it was low. 20-20w and 30w were the norm for most cars at that time. I'm sure they had been around a whole longer before than for 10-40's multi-weights were something still fairly new at that time and a lot of people would have nothing to do with them. It was 30w in the summer and 20-20w in the winter for most cars (and 10w for the sub 0 areas - didn't see much of it in the northwest wintered areas around here but remember reading the reguirement in the lub manuels at the shop.)

I worked in the gas station business in the early 1950's in Palm Springs California. It gets really HOT there most of the year. I saw it as high as 127 deg. F. There were many people who ran straight 20 oil and never had an oil related problem. Most of them did 1000-1500 oci and most cars then did not have filters. The oil was not even close to what is available today. I am using Motorcraft 5-20 in my Ford V10 and not loosing any sleep over it.

Bob

quote:

Originally posted by mf150:
no-way i'm putting that stuff in my engine. no-flame, just a fact for me, alone.

Whats sad is some engines actually show MORE wear, the thicker the oil is...So if you never followed the manufacturers recommendations, and never used the spec'd oil, and decided to run 30 or 40 wt instead...its quite possible you'd be doing more damage to your engine then had you just followed the original recommendations.

I've more than proven to myself that 5w20 works fine in applications where it is called for.

Search the UOA's for my '99 F150 with the 4.6 that works for its living. The last UOA was 6000 miles while trailer towing, hauling loads, and plenty of 4x4 off road driving. It did just fine.

However, even though it works fine, out of curiosity sake I am going to see what a 5w40 will do in this application. I've run a year on 5w30, a year on 5w20, now for a year on 5w40. If that can't put to bed what the difference is, I don;t know what will...

FWIW, the 5w20 has done better than the 5w30, lasted longer intervals, and resulted in no additional consumption.

quote:

Originally posted by MNgopher:
I've run a year on 5w30, a year on 5w20, now for a year on 5w40. If that can't put to bed what the difference is, I don;t know what will...

Might I suggest a year on 10w30 also? You have great coverage of the back number, but what about the front ("w") number? Much of what I remember the argument being is that initial startup is the issue, so the 10 weight for start ups would provide some interesting data on the UOA.

The discussions where people use 5W-30 because they're not comfortable using 5W-20 crack me up! There's sufficient info in this forum to show that 5W-30's suffer much more drastically from viscosity breakdown then 5W-20 does, so why not just start out with a 5W-10, because that's what you're doing by using 5W-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back