Oily Latex Gloves?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My next door neighbor sells dental supplies. A few years ago he had a whole bunch of extra-large latex exam gloves given to him at the end of a trade show, and gave me a few boxes.

Since then, I always wear them when changing oil or working on greasy parts. If I need to go into the house or to the parts store . . . or even just to reach into my pocket to get my keys, I can simply peel them off and put on a new pair later if I need to. My hands stay clean and I don't have to use harsh cleansers on my skin when I'm done.

Anybody else do this, or have I just gone wimpy in my old age?

(No jokes about telling my car to bend over, please.)
pat.gif

I tried it once and the combination of slick, oily gloves and a smooth Motocraft filter resulted in a real mess when I dropped it into the full drain pan.
banghead.gif

I wear latex glove about 95% of the time when dealing with chemicals/oil/greasy parts. not only do they keep your hands clean but you are not absorbing any of the chemicals though your skin.

Gloves are great.
The vinyl type costs the same, and are FAR superior when working around cars.
They are more solvent resistant, and tougher in general. There is no sacrifice in feel, and no allergic reactions.

Nitrile glove while expensive, rarely tear. Latex gloves have a stink that stays on my petite hands and clashes with my designer cologne.

In fact blue nitrile gloves are so expensive I leave them on for a few days. People stare, but it's none of their business, is it now?

Pablo, just be yourself. We're cool with it ;-)

I've used the latex gloves for years. There's always a box in my garage, my wife buys them at Wally World.

I've tried the vinyl gloves, but prefer the latex. One downside with the latex, though, is that they won't stand up to brake cleaner or some other solvents.

For the cost of latex or nitrile gloves, they're worth absolutely every penny. Without gloves, it's a double-whammy on your skin: chemicals, then scrubbing.

I use Nitrile gloves. Get'em at Harbor Freight for about $11 per box.

Makes cleaning up your hands a breeze. Well worth the money.

I found you don't have to take off the gloves to go in the house or fish your keys from your pocket as (unlike your hands) the oil wipes cleanly off the gloves. I usually re-use mine (Nitril) until they tear. Just pull them off inside out and next time I need them I turn them in, blow in to expand, and slip them on. Occasionally need to add a little talcum power to the inside.

Just ordered some more Nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight - on sale, $6.99/box. They are 4 mil, which is fine for home/general use.

For water based stuff, I use the cheaper latex, for car stuff, nitrile. Started several years ago, use them all the time now.

I'm with Pablo on wearing them around for several days - we are fashion trendsetters!

I guess I'm getting old or just don't want to mar my pedicure, just kidding
grin.gif
. I wear the cheap latex gloves you get from Lowes/Home Depot or the local hardware store. They work "ok" for oil changes. Sometimes they tear on the fingers but I still end up with much less oily hands overall.

Whimsey

I use gloves every time, always have. Besides the oil, and dirt, who knows what carcinogens are left over in the used oil? Gloves are cheap enough. I take a used one to put over the end of the filter before it goes in the trash, to keep whatever oil may leak from it contained.

Gloves for pretty much any thing beyond checking fluid levels. I have two different grades of latex, light for oil and or wheel changes with four cars in the family etc and then the heavier grade latex for longer knuckle bustin jobs. They provide good cheap protection.

quote:

In fact blue nitrile gloves are so expensive I leave them on for a few days. People stare, but it's none of their business, is it now?

lol.gif
grin.gif
lol.gif

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

PS: I do use gloves sometimes. Bought 40 of them to a box at the $1 store. Guess how much?
tongue.gif

I'm getting near the end of a box of blue nitriles I bought over 2 yrs from A-Zone for about 13$. I use them until they tear. I like them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back