Oils other than Mobil 1 that meet Acura HTO-06?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hastily picked up a 5 liter jug of Mobil 1 oil for my girlfriends car after she ran the OLM 600 km's past 0%, but I couldn't help notice the jugs of Syntec and other brands next to it that were ~$10 cheaper than the Mobil. I was in a bit of a hurry so I just grabbed it and ran out. The owners manual mentions Mobil 1, but I'm sure some of the other brands meet this spec. I'd rather not pay a premium for Mobil 1 next time, if there's another oil that will hold up just as well.

So what are you guys using?

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Pennzoil Platinum meets the HTO-06 spec.

So far the only ones I found are Mobil 1, Pennzoil P, and Amsoil. Amsoil is too expensive. Castrol doesn't mention the spec on their data sheet.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Amsoil is not approved HTO-06 only recommended by amsoil.

Quoted for emphasis.

A car as pricey as an Acura turbo; why would you worry about the price of oil? Honda has that spec for a reason, so I would use an oil that meets it.

The following oils claim to meet HTO-06 in their respective datasheets and publications -

76 Super Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-30
AMSOIL Signature Series 0W-30
Kendall GT-1 Ultimate Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-30
Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30
Petro-Canada Turbo Synthetic 5W-30

(And of course the factory fill Mobil 1 5W-30)

Originally Posted By: IntegraVT
The following oils claim to meet HTO-06 in their respective datasheets and publications -

Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30

No sir, AMSOIL Signature Series 0W-30 does not claim to meet the Honda/Acura HTO-06 spec (or any other specs). The wording on the website is very tricky in that it says Amsoil "recommends" the oil in situations that call for that spec, but does not say it meets the spec or that it is certified as such.

As a reference, compare the Amsoil wording on the 100% synthetics to the specs on the non-100% synthetic Amsoil products, which do meet the specs (only the ones they list, not sure about the Honda spec) and are certified as such. Amsoil has an entire page of explanation as to why they don't get their 100% synthetic oils certified, but I personally don't buy their explanation.

Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30

If the Kendall and "76" brands meet spec, then by definiton the Conoco and Phillips 66 brands would meet spec also since all four brands are identical (and they are all owned by ConocoPhillips). You can view the specs of all 4 at the ConocoPhillips website.

Mark888 - I agree on the COP flavors, but oddly only the 76 and Kendall mention HTO-06 in data sheets. (Smells like a marketing decision...)

Also, on AMSOIL, the tile of this document on the AMSOIL website is AMSOIL Signature Series 0W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil Meets Stringent Requirements of Honda/Acura HTO-06 Specification - http://www.amsoil.com/news/2008_april_signatureseries.pdf

That, IMHO, goes a little beyond a nudge-nudge, wink-wink recommendation for where the spec is called for.

Mark888 - I agree on the COP flavors, but oddly only the 76 and Kendall mention HTO-06 in data sheets. (Smells like a marketing decision...)

Correct, Conoco and Phillips 66 don't offer the "premium" synthetic oil.

Also, neither claim to be certified, just to "meet or exceed."

Probably just an oversight. Even the Mobil 1 website has omitted some certifications that are written right on the bottles. I think that the oil companies take the accuracy of specifications listed on their websites much less seriously than do most members of this forum, which is unfortunate.

Quote:
Also, on AMSOIL, the tile of this document on the AMSOIL website is AMSOIL Signature Series 0W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil Meets Stringent Requirements of Honda/Acura HTO-06 Specification - http://www.amsoil.com/news/2008_april_signatureseries.pdf

That, IMHO, goes a little beyond a nudge-nudge, wink-wink recommendation for where the spec is called for.

Amsoil makes very high quality motor oils, but for some reason their 100% Synthetics are not certified. I think there is a reason for this, possibly relating to the lack of Energy Saving formulas, but not sure.

Regarding the webpage you posted, it does appear a bit more convincing than the regular webpage specs, and perhaps it does meet the Honda/Acura HTO-06 Specification. But it does not claim to meet the other specs listed (only that it recommends the oil where those specs are needed).

In any case, even though they make very high quality products, I think their obfuscation of the specification issue is regrettable.

Originally Posted By: Canawler

Premium is probably just a marketing term. If you compare the specs as listed on the ConocoPhillips website, they are identical for all brands (assuming the same type of oil and same viscosity).

I don't think there is any difference between "meets and exceeds" and "certified." If every single one of the product specs are identical (check them on the ConocoPhillips website), then it is safe to assume the oils are identical.

Originally Posted By: Mark888
Originally Posted By: Canawler

Premium is probably just a marketing term. If you compare the specs as listed on the ConocoPhillips website, they are identical for all brands (assuming the same type of oil and same viscosity).

I don't think there is any difference between "meets and exceeds" and "certified." If every single one of the product specs are identical (check them on the ConocoPhillips website), then it is safe to assume the oils are identical.

Sorry, the "premium" word was actually mine. The Kendall and 76 brands offer both a full synthetic and an premium full synthetic. Just like Castrol does with Syntec and Edge. Kendall calls it Ultimate Synthetic and 76 calls it Super Synthetic. The other two brands don't market the premium synthetic. And yes, I'm sure Kendall's Ultimate and 76's Super are the same oil.

As far as certification wording goes, that seems to be a hot topic on the forum. Some oils that use "meets or exceeds" are not actually on the cert. lists but some that are on GM's lists, for example, do use the term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back