Oils in other countries.

I was wondering this other day. What oil do other countries like European and Asian countries get that we American folks don’t? It seems Australia and New Zealand get some interesting oils also.

I was wondering this other day. What oil do other countries like European and Asian countries get that we American folks don’t? It seems Australia and New Zealand get some interesting oils also.

The Europeans seem to have higher standards for there oils. I am using a European oil and I think it is better than the American speced oil I was using.

a lot depends on the oils specs!! mobil 1 15-50 is NOT a real synthetic PAO as it once was + looking at Penrites offerings it would prolly be my choice. on another note our government in USA allows MORE toxic ingredients in foods so like oil brands the contents can vary depending what the buyer WANTS the blender to put in the container! USA has some great oils but you WILL pay more for better oils like HPL lubes, its all about the $$$$$ as usual!!

a lot depends on the oils specs!! mobil 1 15-50 is NOT a real synthetic PAO as it once was + looking at Penrites offerings it would prolly be my choice. on another note our government in USA allows MORE toxic ingredients in foods so like oil brands the contents can vary depending what the buyer WANTS the blender to put in the container! USA has some great oils but you WILL pay more for better oils like HPL lubes, its all about the $$$$$ as usual!!
Rowe makes great oils in EU, and have one of the most advanced blending factory in EU.

I wish i could get M1 15W-50 ...
Then there's the price of oil in America, less than half price vs Europe.

At least in Europe, well maybe Germany, your definition of synthetic oil is better than our Definition. Here, anything to a certain extent can be called Synthetic.

download.jpg
download (1).jpg

Only in Germany, in the rest of Europe and the world, Group 3 is enough to be called synthetic.
Yes, basically it's just a different naming convention because of several law suits.
To call an oil synthetic (vollsynthetisch) here in Germany, it must be 100% group 4 oils.
If it is a blend with group 3 oils it is called "teilsynthetisch" (part-synthetic) or some marketing speak like "Premiumöl" or "Hochleistungsöl".

Regarding the price, a synthetic oil over here goes for about 12-17ish bucks a quart.

Yes, basically it's just a different naming convention because of several law suits.
To call an oil synthetic (vollsynthetisch) here in Germany, it must be 100% group 4 oils.
If it is a blend with group 3 oils it is called "teilsynthetisch" (part-synthetic) or some marketing speak like "Premiumöl" or "Hochleistungsöl".

Regarding the price, a synthetic oil over here goes for about 12-17ish bucks a quart.
not 100% group 4. Think its between 70-80%.

Reactions: FCD
not 100% group 4. Think its between 70-80%.
Definitely only 100%.

In Germany, an engine oil may only be called "synthetic" if it has been produced exclusively with oils of base oil class IV and higher, plus additives. The term "synthetic" or "fully synthetic" engine oil is controversial internationally[4], but clearly defined in Germany by several court rulings. According to these rulings, only engine oils that consist entirely of polyalphaolefinic or dicarboxylic acid ester base oils plus additives may be called "synthetic" in Germany. Some ready-to-use oils can therefore not be called synthetic in Germany, even though they contain polyalphaolefins of base oil group IV and deliver superior performance. In these cases, oil manufacturers therefore use terms such as high-performance engine oil or premium engine oil for engine oils that may be marketed elsewhere as synthetic.

In Deutschland darf ein Motoröl nur dann als "synthetisch" bezeichnet werden, wenn es ausschließlich mit Ölen der Grundölklasse IV und höher, plus Additiven hergestellt wurde. Der Begriff des „synthetischen“ oder „vollsynthetischen“ Motoröls ist international umstritten[4], in Deutschland jedoch durch mehrere Gerichtsurteile klar definiert. Gemäß dieser Urteile dürfen in Deutschland nur solche Motoröle als „synthetisch“ bezeichnet werden, die vollständig aus polyalphaolefinischen oder Dicarbonsäureestergrundölen plus Additiven bestehen. Einige gebrauchsfertige Öle können daher in Deutschland nicht als synthetisch bezeichnet werden, obwohl sie Polyalphaolefine der Grundölgruppe IV enthalten und überragende Leistungen liefern. Deshalb verwenden Ölhersteller in diesen Fällen Begriffe wie Hochleistungsmotorenöl oder Premium Motorenöl für Motoröle die Andernorts als synthetisch vertrieben werden dürfen.

Definitely only 100%.

There is not a single oil on the market that is 100% PAO, simply because for example PAO has poor solubility, so it's always mixed with some Group III or Ester just so the additives dissolve properly.

I am pretty sure the legal requirement in Germany is +70% but not 100%.

Definitely only 100%.

Note it says "Group IV and higher", which means AN's and esters are included, it's not just PAO.

Also, I believe the legal requirement is 70-80%, I found one of the court cases on this a few years ago and shared it here. This allows for lower group carrier oils and the like. And of course the additive package and its carrier along with VII's take up around 15% of the mix as well.

There is not a single oil on the market that is 100% PAO, simply because for example PAO has poor solubility, so it's always mixed with some Group III or Ester just so the additives dissolve properly.

I am pretty sure the legal requirement in Germany is +70% but not 100%.
Not only that, but PAO is hard on many seal materials, so this needs to be balanced out, typically done with AN's and/or esters, which also provides solubility. It only takes a few percent to do this though.

It's not my opinion, I just quoted that Wikipedia article,
and it it says, made of "entirely of polyalphaolefinic or dicarboxylic acid ester base oils "

It's not my opinion, I just quoted that Wikipedia article,
and it it says, made of "entirely of polyalphaolefinic or dicarboxylic acid ester base oils "
The first line that you quoted says:
In Germany, an engine oil may only be called "synthetic" if it has been produced exclusively with oils of base oil class IV and higher, plus additives.

"And higher" includes anything in Group V, which means AN's and Esters. The "plus additives" part is because engine oils aren't just the base oils, the additives including VII's, the DI package...etc take up to ~15% of the product.

Here's my previous post on the matter:

Relevant bit from the cited court case (translation isn't great):
7. The applicant has requested to condemn the defendant to refrain from the fact that the business "oil-ethical," 50-95, 5W 30 "as a" south-synthetic "to apply and / or appropriate engine oils to be used, and unlike the engine, which is not actually a motor oil with a PAO content of at least 70%.

Back