Oils for 2.0 Duratec and a 1zzfe

I searched to find some recent information on this topic but was unsuccessful. I have a beater 08 Focus with 2.0 which is driven by my brother in college. The car doesn’t get much in the way of love except the occasion oil changes.
Ford specs 5w20, but would it be safe to run some of the Chevron Supreme 5w30 from my stash in it with a Supertech oil filter? OCI would be 5k miles.

I also have a 1zzfe Corolla that’s been in the family since new and has always been kept up on maintenance. I know Toyota back spec’ed the engine to 5w20. This car has always run Supertech or Kirkland FS oil every 6k miles or 5k on the CS from the stash. Now I also got a jug of 5w20 Mobil FS oil. Can this 5w20 be run for like a 7,500 oci on the corolla without issues? Typically I’ve been using the Bosch 3311 filters from my stash, but I would buy a Fram EG from Walmart for this OCI because they claim to be 10k miles and the new UG seem to have a taken step back.

Any wisdom from the forum especially users who have the above vehicles and run those weight oils would be greatly appreciated.

If you're that concerned about the oil filter you could get a larger oil filter, you can find NOS TG2951s they have the same size gasket as the 4967 and 4386 fram specified for the Toyota but are larger around like a ph3614, some people even run ph3614 or ph3600 or the larger around ph16 and ph8a but I'm not sure about that, to me that seems a little big for the Toyota filter mount and you run the risk of blowing the gasket out. On the 2.0 the longer fram PH3600 or Motorcraft FL400 should work in place of the stock PH3614/Fl910 and provide just a hair more filtration area, a PH8a /PL1A might fit but I don't know, it seems like at one point the PH8A would fit the Mazda-L/Duratec but at one point they change the adapter plate and made it sit closer to the engine block and put a step on it to where you can't use a ph16/fl300 or ph8a/FL1A.

I run a 3600 in both the 2006 and 1998 Corolla in my sig with no issues. The 1999 version of the Corolla routed the A/C line directly under the filter or else that too would be running a 3600. A 4386 ( or it’s equivalent) works just fine.
I’ve been running 5W30 in all 3 1ZZFE’s since have owned them.

My daughter has a 2010 Focus, since new [what a great engine] mostly I used 5W-30 Chevron Supreme except for 2 oil changes with 5W-20 motor oil, She went 13,000 miles for 2 years commuting to Boise State in Boise Idaho from Caldwell Idaho and one year it had Magnetech 5W-20 and didn't use a noticeable amount and one year with 5W-30 Quaker state syn and still has no noticeable use. This last oil change I used Rotella Truck and SUV 5W-20 I bought on close out plus rebate a 2 years ago. Again the engine is a great engine.

Last edited:
Supertech 5w-30 is perfectly fine for both, no need for a 20 and 30 and if you live in a a warm winter area supertech diesel and delvac would be a great oil to run too.

Both of those engines are soft on oil and i go 10k using supertech syn, volvo vds 4.5 rated diesel/dual rated oils and currently euro oil without issue and use the supertech filters too. used a snake cam in my valve cover and no sludge.

yes, life is easy compared to what you want to do. you have it right. 4-5K on the Chevron supreme and or up the 10K on synthetic.

For a car that gets ignored, I would use synthetic since I'm sure the light will get "slept" for a while before letting you know. for the ford, motorcraft is a good low cost filter with a silicone antibackflow. Toyota filters often cross the them as well. you might be able to use the same filter on both if the seal diameter, thread and pressure relief pressure values are the same. Length if the filter doesn't matter too much. I've seen some ridiculously short ones on V6 engines.

Just don't tell the Toyota engine its been backspeced to xw20 and it will never know the difference. many corollas with 250+K miles on 5w-30.

We have a 3.0 Duratec with around 400k miles. These things are crazy easy on oil. I’m pretty sure you could feed this one almost anything and get a long happy life. This one has lived on 5w20 GTX since 12k miles.

Thanks everyone for your responses!! It’s good to know that others have been running 5w20 in their 1zzs without any issues. I had the PH3614 picked as an upsize filter picked for when my stash of Bosch filters run out for the corolla. So I might just use that on both vehicles.

Will the new EGs run 7,500 miles without any issues?
I saw old C&Ps of Bosch filters but those were typically in the 5k range. Any reason the regular Bosch premium filters won’t make it to the 7,500 OCI?

yes, life is easy compared to what you want to do. you have it right. 4-5K on the Chevron supreme and or up the 10K on synthetic.

For a car that gets ignored, I would use synthetic since I'm sure the light will get "slept" for a while before letting you know. for the ford, motorcraft is a good low cost filter with a silicone antibackflow. Toyota filters often cross the them as well. you might be able to use the same filter on both if the seal diameter, thread and pressure relief pressure values are the same. Length if the filter doesn't matter too much. I've seen some ridiculously short ones on V6 engines.

Just don't tell the Toyota engine its been backspeced to xw20 and it will never know the difference. many corollas with 250+K miles on 5w-30.
lol I won’t tell it anything about the back spec’ing. My local Walmart stopped carrying Motorcraft filters for whatever reason with the pandemic and it’s basically Fram galore along with the ST oil filters.

I run a 3600 in both the 2006 and 1998 Corolla in my sig with no issues. The 1999 version of the Corolla routed the A/C line directly under the filter or else that too would be running a 3600. A 4386 ( or it’s equivalent) works just fine.
I’ve been running 5W30 in all 3 1ZZFE’s since have owned them.
Are there any issues with the 3600 sticking too far down on your 2006? Those seem like really long filters compared to the stock 4967 size

lol I won’t tell it anything about the back spec’ing. My local Walmart stopped carrying Motorcraft filters for whatever reason with the pandemic and it’s basically Fram galore along with the ST oil filters.
Either or both would likely do fine for 5-10K. the box says they can do it and no real evidence the they cannot.

Back