Oiled belt on daughters Subaru

I'd buy a replacement belt, preferably from the dealer or vendor of high quality parts. Also, it's likely that there is 1 or more tensioners. At that age it/they are due for replacement.

$200, delivered, installed, and old battery taken away...........not that bad.

For what one post said might be an Exide battery?

Your daughter could've declined and just gotten the boost from AAA. She could've drive to NAPA, Advance or any other auto parts store and gotten a battery from them. They would probably install it for free as well, with questionable results as these guys don't know what they're doing in most cases.

$200 is more than reasonable IMO to have someone drive to your location, install it, take away the old one and warranty the battery and the work performed.

Your daughter could've declined and just gotten the boost from AAA. She could've drive to NAPA, Advance or any other auto parts store and gotten a battery from them. They would probably install it for free as well, with questionable results as these guys don't know what they're doing in most cases.

$200 is more than reasonable IMO to have someone drive to your location, install it, take away the old one and warranty the battery and the work performed.
Most batteries cost $200

$200 is a fair price IMO especially factoring in the convenience of coming to your place and installing it. A battery at the auto parts store is about the same price.

The battery may have needed the jump due to slipping belt, and/or problematic tensioner or alternator. Spraying it masked the issue.

Surprisingly NAPA sells AAA branded batteries and the listing says the manufacturer is East Penn or Clarios.

Not sure why I would buy a AAA battery at NAPA. Why not a NAPA battery?

I think your daughter did OK given the circumstances. The group 35 AAA labeled battery sells for $210 at NAPA and the NAPA Legend labeled battery sells for $190.
1705337918306.png

1705337964146.png

The difference appears to be a 36 month warranty for the AAA battery vs. a 24 month warranty for the NAPA Legend battery. Both appear to be identical units sourced from East Penn.

She was probably shutterbugging the AAA tech while he worked. He probably had to do a Midtronics test on the complete install for paperwork reasons, and that alligator clip is from that.

Having the AAA battery guy come to you has its price in convenience. Can you get anyone to come to you for fifty bucks anymore? Let alone on an emergency basis? Last I knew, their batteries are Exides, too. :(
The AAA one I had in my MGM was East Penn-NAPA sells AAA batteries too... BIG $ (often as much as a cheap AGM)!

I just feel most shops are out to rip her off. If the battery was charged and failed a Midtronics test then I agree to replace. I think AAA saw dead battery and easiest fix was new battery.

I just feel most shops are out to rip her off. If the battery was charged and failed a Midtronics test then I agree to replace. I think AAA saw dead battery and easiest fix was new battery.
Why was the battery dead?
How old was the battery
(none of my subaru batteries made it to 3 years)
the 2013 outback was 490cca it was better it made it to almost 4 years.

Not like AAA is going to come out and charge your battery they will jump you and move on.
I think the deal while not great wasnt "ripoff" level + the added convenience has value.

I just feel most shops are out to rip her off. If the battery was charged and failed a Midtronics test then I agree to replace. I think AAA saw dead battery and easiest fix was new ba

How old was the battery

Not like AAA is going to come out and charge your battery they will jump you and move on.
I think the deal while not great wasnt "ripoff" level + the added convenience has value.
I'm pretty sure my lawn mower battery is 490cc

How old was the battery

Being 6 hours away there is only so much I can do remotely. I have no idea if some light was left on for a few days while she was away for Christmas. Or if the battery died from old age.

today there are FEWER manufacturers of things + MORE different labels!! batteries are HEAVY so the CLOSEST LOW bidder usually wins!!! no matter the brand keeping it FULLY charged is MOST important!!

Back