Oil wieght for 360 magnum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a crate 360 magnum in my 1991 dodge power ram 150 it's carburated and has around 20 thousand miles on it. I live in Idaho where it gets 30 below zero routinely through out winter and in the summer it can get up to 105 but is normally 85 to 100. is 5w-30 or 5w-40 better for this engine in this climate?

On one side of the equation you have 30 below zero in the winter. On the other side of the equation you have a carburetor which could cause fuel dilution. I'm not sure 5W-30 could handle the fuel dilution. We'll see what the other guys have to say.

Bandito440 is right on with his oil selection. Listen to him. He recommends a great oil

Last edited:
Could I get a 0w-40 in valvoline synpower? Not saying Mobil 1 isn't good. I've just always tried to support valvoline and I have never really cared for Exxon/Mobil.

Originally Posted By: pjc360
Could I get a 0w-40 in valvoline synpower? Not saying Mobil 1 isn't good. I've just always tried to support valvoline and I have never really cared for Exxon/Mobil.

No. And Valvoline doesn't make an oil that is a truly competitive product to Mobil 1 0w-40.

Valvoline doesn't have 0w-40. Castrol and Mobil do though. I think the 0w-40 will work best if you're seeing -30F temperatures.

Originally Posted By: pjc360

The Synpower 0w40 is similar to the Mobil 1 in a few ways, they have the same visc @ 100C, 13.5 cSt and similar VI, 180 on Synpower and 185 on M1, but the M1 a much better reputation including more builder approvals.

Mobil 1 0w40 is one of their finest products and a steal @ 25/jug at walmart.

Does any oil company make 0w-40 other then Exxon/Mobil? Is there a big difference between 0w-40 and 5w-40? Specifically in my engine/climate combo? I'm guessing the 0w-40 flows a bit better in colder weather, but doesn't a 5w oil flow well enough for 30 below? Or is 39 below the max for a 5w oil?

If you are seeing -30, the 0w-40 is the product you want in the pan. It is literally HALF as thick at that temperature as the 5w-40.

Last winter over here it was 30 below for a week straight and the winter before it was 30 below for 2 weeks. But it's certainly not 30 below all the time, I was just mentioning that it can get that cold and stay that cold for a few days in a row. Most of the time it stays around 10 to 20 below zero. I can look up the average winter temp acute for my area and post it. I will do that real quick.

One thing I forgot to mention is when it gets that cold and if I have to use my truck when it's that cold I will plug the truck in before starting it, I have a block heater on the engine.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Since you like Valvoline,stick with it,it's an excellent oil! Valvoline conventional 10W30.

Mineral based 10w30 oils are not exactly optimal when items get far below 0.

I would prefer a good synthetic 5w30 like Pennzoil Ultra.

Ok I looked up average weather in my area, here it is.
In November average high is 40 degrees average low is 22 degrees, in December average high is 27 degrees average low is 12 degrees. In January average high is 28 average low is 11, in February average high is 35 average low is 15.
The last couple years we have had record setting lows in January and February though. But that's the listed average. But it seems to me in January we normally have at least 4 or 5 days of super cold weather.

I'd still use M1 0w-40, it is arguably the best readily available PCMO and it covers all bases when it comes to your application.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
If you are seeing -30, the 0w-40 is the product you want in the pan. It is literally HALF as thick at that temperature as the 5w-40.

That's a new one on me; I didn't know that.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back