OIl Grade Suggestion for 300k 6.0L Chevy..

Why should i not just run Mobil 1 15w-50 at the next oil change vs the 15-40 Diesel? Pros/cons? And ill check the PCV system, im pretty up on that , im sure it ok, ill report back soon on that..
Should or shouldn't is for you to decide. With that consumption, you can do whatever grade AND every possible additive in the local stores too.

Last edited:
It sounds like it needs a rebuild honestly. But that’s to be expected at 292,000 miles

I'd run 6oz of Seafoam or Gumout 510011 "tune up" in the crankcase 50-70 miles before an oil change then refill with your favorite 5W-40 or 0W-40.

My small block chevies all loved M1 0W-40.

Even the brutally worked marine engines that outwork any car/ truck.

As as been said - its moving a lot of oil and pretty clapped out so no magic in a bottle applies.

and because its basically moving through and out - anything expensive is just a waste.

Last edited:

As as been said - its moving a lot of oil and pretty clapped out so no magic in a bottle applies.

and because its basically moving through and out - anything expensive is just a waste.
That's what I run in my 4.8 Chevy, Oldsmobile 350 and everything else except the wife's Hyundai. I'd run it in it also if it didn't have the theta 2 engine still probably covered under recall.

Maybe I need to start a new thread for this...but is mobil 1 starting to exclude the 0w40 from the sales like Castrol always did? This is Canadian Tire. They've always been included before on sales here and at Walmart. If so I'll have to switch to something more economical. If I have to pay full price I might as well go with amsoil or something.

Attachments

• 20230227_161605.jpg
    20230227_161605.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 20230227_161612_HDR.jpg
    20230227_161612_HDR.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 31
So my 2000 Chevy Silverado 2600 with 6.0L has 292,000 Miles on it.. Ive owned it since new and have religiously changed the oil every 5000 with Mobil 1 most of the time, with a few Penzoil and Valvoiline full Syn changes thrown in here and there... Anyway, My truck is in Immacuate condition, and i am nuts on service and Maintaince... That being said, as its gotton older, it Burns more and more oil now, especially now that its got older, The oil Pressure is Perfect, just uses about
1 1/2 Quarts of oil per 1000 miles when towing heavy loads, like my 25ft rv... Engine runs great, is still very strong, no issues, no codes, still on my original engine/Trans and Cats too actually.... I always run 10w-30 being here in Los Angeles area.. Im used to it using oil, like a quart every 2000 roughly, its just now, im pulling a heavier trailer than i had before, so im noticing more oil consumtion...Also, my oil is Always very Black when i change it at 5k...

Would you guys reccomend going up to a 10w-40 or even the mobil1 15w-50?

Thanks!
What oil got you there? Stay with that one.

Maybe I need to start a new thread for this...but is mobil 1 starting to exclude the 0w40 from the sales like Castrol always did? This is Canadian Tire. They've always been included before on sales here and at Walmart. If so I'll have to switch to something more economical. If I have to pay full price I might as well go with amsoil or something.
No. At least where I work (major US auto parts chain) 0w-40 is included in m1 sales. M1 esp 0w-20 is not however.

So my 2000 Chevy Silverado 2600 with 6.0L has 292,000 Miles on it.. Ive owned it since new and have religiously changed the oil every 5000 with Mobil 1 most of the time, with a few Penzoil and Valvoiline full Syn changes thrown in here and there... Anyway, My truck is in Immacuate condition, and i am nuts on service and Maintaince... That being said, as its gotton older, it Burns more and more oil now, especially now that its got older, The oil Pressure is Perfect, just uses about
1 1/2 Quarts of oil per 1000 miles when towing heavy loads, like my 25ft rv... Engine runs great, is still very strong, no issues, no codes, still on my original engine/Trans and Cats too actually.... I always run 10w-30 being here in Los Angeles area.. Im used to it using oil, like a quart every 2000 roughly, its just now, im pulling a heavier trailer than i had before, so im noticing more oil consumtion...Also, my oil is Always very Black when i change it at 5k...

Thanks!
Try either or in M1. I think 15w50 is the way to go. 40wt gives me angst.

Thanks!
A 2000 you say with 292000 miles using 1 1/2 quarts a 1000 miles. My guess rather than shopping for a new oil I would be looking for a new truck. Because rebuilds are to expensive these days unless you can do it yourself!

My wife's Chevy equinox gets the same oil mileage as your truck. Only thing is, it doesn't have 80k miles on it yet. The only thing I found to cut consumption is to use a heavier grade oil. You can try running 10/40, and see how it reacts. I've made my own mix of 10/40 and 25/50 that I use in the summer, and that seems to work pretty good. It's a used, high mileage 23 year old truck, so don't hope for miracles.,,,

15W-40 HDEO. DELVAC 1300 is great as us the Delo 15W-40. In my UOA's the conventional Delo and SynBlend DELVAC equaled or bettered Mobil1 Synthetic. DELVAC And Delo often run rebates as well.

Back