OIl Grade Suggestion for 300k 6.0L Chevy..

So my 2000 Chevy Silverado 2600 with 6.0L has 292,000 Miles on it.. Ive owned it since new and have religiously changed the oil every 5000 with Mobil 1 most of the time, with a few Penzoil and Valvoiline full Syn changes thrown in here and there... Anyway, My truck is in Immacuate condition, and i am nuts on service and Maintaince... That being said, as its gotton older, it Burns more and more oil now, especially now that its got older, The oil Pressure is Perfect, just uses about
1 1/2 Quarts of oil per 1000 miles when towing heavy loads, like my 25ft rv... Engine runs great, is still very strong, no issues, no codes, still on my original engine/Trans and Cats too actually.... I always run 10w-30 being here in Los Angeles area.. Im used to it using oil, like a quart every 2000 roughly, its just now, im pulling a heavier trailer than i had before, so im noticing more oil consumtion...Also, my oil is Always very Black when i change it at 5k...

Would you guys reccomend going up to a 10w-40 or even the mobil1 15w-50?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say, yeah bump it up a little bit, see what happens. 300,000 miles means you’ve had a good run, experiment a little bit and try to milk the thing further. Shouldn’t be a problem...and should give you a little less consumption and another 100,000 plus.

Definitely something to play with over the next 100K. Please keep us informed with your progress. Even if you don't do anything, because the situation is quite manageable as is. :cool:

That is pretty good miles on the engine. Toss some money at a high ester oil and see if there is carbon that the ester oils will dissolve.

So my 2000 Chevy Silverado 2600 with 6.0L has 292,000 Miles on it.. Ive owned it since new and have religiously changed the oil every 5000 with Mobil 1 most of the time, with a few Penzoil and Valvoiline full Syn changes thrown in here and there... Anyway, My truck is in Immacuate condition, and i am nuts on service and Maintaince... That being said, as its gotton older, it Burns more and more oil now, especially now that its got older, The oil Pressure is Perfect, just uses about
1 1/2 Quarts of oil per 1000 miles when towing heavy loads, like my 25ft rv... Engine runs great, is still very strong, no issues, no codes, still on my original engine/Trans and Cats too actually.... I always run 10w-30 being here in Los Angeles area.. Im used to it using oil, like a quart every 2000 roughly, its just now, im pulling a heavier trailer than i had before, so im noticing more oil consumtion...Also, my oil is Always very Black when i change it at 5k...

Thanks!

Give HPL a call, High Performance Lubricants. I think it is Dave there that answered my call, and he gave me great advice.

HDEO- heavy duty engine oil... also called diesel oil

Viscosity is your friend. I'd run a 5w40.

With that much consumption, on the current fill, I'd use a 15w50 for top off, regardless of what it was filled with.

The pcv system needs a thorough look over.
Why should i not just run Mobil 1 15w-50 at the next oil change vs the 15-40 Diesel? Pros/cons? And ill check the PCV system, im pretty up on that , im sure it ok, ill report back soon on that..

I would also try some Sea Foam in your oil jut before your next oil change. With that many miles your rings might be sticking a bit or getting gummed up.

No. The desired oil viscosity is dictated by 3 factors.

1. Operating oil temperature
2. Rod and main bearing clearance
3. Load on those bearings

The operating oil temp will likely be higher while towing, but it shouldn't be so high as to warrant a change in viscosity. This is where a better quality, more shear stable and thermally stable oil will be beneficial.

The rod and main bearing clearance shouldn't change enough in 300k miles to need a higher viscosity. If it does, you have a much bigger problems than what oil to use.

The load on the bearings will certainly be higher while towing, but again shouldn't exceed the limits of the 30 grade.

Consuming as much oil as you are, no oil is going to help you. Some may slow it down slightly, but you have a much bigger problem at hand. I would troubleshoot the cause of the oil consumption before I started considering a different oil.

Back