oil weight mixing results, ford 4.6, 200,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
well this summer I tried going a little heaver weight, I used 4 quarts tropartic syn blend 10w30 with one quart of motorcraft 15w40

results, oil burning/leaking was cut way down, I now go thru about 1/2 the oil at about one quart per 2500 miles or more, I went thru pure tropartic 10w30 at about 1500 miles or less last summer

I am think about going with tropartic 4 quarts of 5w30 and one quart of mobil 0w40 full syn as my winter oil when I change it out in about 2 months, what ya think of this combo?

I think you would be better off using something
like Rotella syn 5w40. But I'm not a big fan of mixing.
I doubt the 0w-40 would thicken it enough.

well I figured the 0w40 syn would help on both ends, cold engine low temp start ups in the morning and at higher operating temps

well I kinda want thin oil at low temps for the winters up north here, it can get 30 below F

I think 15w is to thick on the cold mornings. a little 15w was fine in summer thou

the car sits outside all the time

quote:

Originally posted by lt1man:
use a 15W40.

That wouldnt work very good when its -5 degrees out this winter
smile.gif

I just dont like mixing syn/regular all that much
its just my opinion however.

1 quart of anything isnt going to do anything noticeable. I doubt it would move the 5w30 out of grade or even close to out of grade.
If you want a 0w40 I'd just use all 0w40 but
that much be too simple for us bitog'ers

On the other hand I'd probably shy away from regular syn
in your engine.. maybe some 5w30 maxlife syn?
thats got a decent pour point.

I'd just live with the consumption in the winter with the lower weight oil. Play around in the warmer weather with the heavier weights.

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
I'd just live with the consumption in the winter with the lower weight oil. Play around in the warmer weather with the heavier weights.

I like this idea best. Least expensive 5w30 SM/GF-4 available for the winter months. TropArtic syn blend 5w30 can usually be had for a good price.

Does the oil burning foul the spark plugs? I would imagine you'd like the plugs to last as long as possible b/c they're not easy to change.

For your winter fill I think 5w is important and -30 apparently doesn't work well.

There's no conventional 5w-40 so that narrows down your options to High Mile 5w-30. Not Valvoline Maxlife. I'm talking about one of the High Mile oils that's a little thicker than regular oil. You'll have to do some research to find the best 1.

If Havoline makes HM 5w-30 that's what I'd choose. Joe

[ September 16, 2006, 06:47 AM: Message edited by: jorton ]

quote:

Originally posted by MillerMan:
I went thru pure tropartic 10w30 at about 1500 miles or less last summer

If this consumption rate is causing fouled plugs, there must be a lot of vehicles on the road with fouled plugs.

I agree. That's not that bad.

MillerMan: Just how many miles do you put on a year ..and how is it broken up between winter/warmer stuff? Is this a daily driver where you put a decent number of miles on per trip ..or what
confused.gif

Without drivability issues being related to the oil consumption (as was mentioned, fouled plugs and whatnot) I would not alter my cold starting performance with higher viscosity oil...at least not in your severe environment. Even 5w-30 is like STP at that temp (well, almost). In that environment I would (and that's just me) surely use a 5w-20 during the winter and top up as necessary. I wouldn't even blink at using a full synth in this situation ..and just live with any consumption that occured. In the warmer months ...go as heavy as you please ..but I'd still keep it (probably) to a 30 weight.

Perhaps MC 5w-20 as a fill and, maybe, MC 5w-30 as topup (both semi-synths from the same product line). Even if you're doing 400 miles a week, you're not adding more then two quarts over the winter. Not a big deal for the difference in cold starting lubrication.
dunno.gif

Consumption, in itself, isn't something to necessarily be corrected if other factors take precendence or some issues aren't present.

quote:

Originally posted by MillerMan:
well this summer I tried going a little heaver weight, I used 4 quarts tropartic syn blend 10w30 with one quart of motorcraft 15w40

results, oil burning/leaking was cut way down, I now go thru about 1/2 the oil at about one quart per 2500 miles or more, I went thru pure tropartic 10w30 at about 1500 miles or less last summer

I am think about going with tropartic 4 quarts of 5w30 and one quart of mobil 0w40 full syn as my winter oil when I change it out in about 2 months, what ya think of this combo?

How many miles on this 4.6?

thanks for all the comments, the 1994 mercury grand marquis 4.6 motor has 200,000 miles on it, it leaks a micro amount past the valve cover gaskets, no place else, the crank seals leak nothing. it doesn't foul the plugs, the platium plugs in it now have over 50,000 miles on them.
I have owned the car for about 7 years.

I drive 25 miles one way to work everyday, plus there is some short trip and longer interstate driving too,I average about 300 to 400 miles a week.

the oil burning is from ring blowby and maybe a little past the valve guides. it burns the most oil when it is getting close to being changed(dirty) and when I drive it harder (higher rpms).

in the past I have used 5w30 dino or syn blend for winter and 10w30 dino or blend for summer.
it seems to burn the same amount in summer that it does in winter, the oil gets dirty quicker in winter. I baby a cold engine too.

I have used tropartic and/or motorcraft oil in it the last 2 years, I tried penz dino one winter, a while back (yuck) never again (it didn't pump on cold mornings, with rod/main bearings hammering). of all the oils I have used in this old machine I like tropartic/MC the best

I was very much surprised at how much one quart of 15w40 reduced the oil burning, and figured maybe doing somwthing along the same lines would work in winter too.

from the above comments, it appears as if adding(mixing) one quart of 0w40 full syn isn't a good idea. I have never run full syn in the engine. and at about 6 dollars a quart I don't want run full syn in this old car.

I have never tried using 5w20 in it before, I would think on the interstate oil consumption would go up by doing it.

I also have never tried the high mileage oils.

oil consumption has not gotten worse in the last three years

[ September 16, 2006, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: MillerMan ]

Start up is more important than a little oil burning, in the winter.
I'd bias my oil selection for good cold performance, and who cares if you use a little.

You've got a fairly decent one way commute there, MM. Even with your qualified issues with the engine, I'd still use the MC 5w-20 for the subfreezing portion of your winter. You can top up with anything from the same stuff ..all the way up to 10w-40 and still be a semisynth (IIRC).

If I integrated your consumption profile, you'll go through a quart in the winter every 6 weeks +/-. If blow-by is truly your condition here, then you probably don't let the oil in there more then 3m/4-5k max. Not a bad deal in terms of convenience for tailoring the weight seasonally. You can even go to 10w-40 in the summer ..but I'd surely cope with whatever consumption occurred with 5w-20 in your winter (Brrrrrrrrr
 -
).

..but then again, I look at things a little differently then most do.

Good luck with whatever way you choose to go
smile.gif

i'll be using 15W40 during the Florida winters, both cars are V8's. In the Saturn 1.9 DOHC I will be using 10W30, the 3.0 V6 Duratec (Ford) will still be using Mobil 1 EP 5W30, it will be due for an oil change in March, that would be 1 year of use on a K&N filter.

a 15w40 will kill this engine in one Wisc/Minn. winter if it's cold started outside

1 qt per 1500 miles is NOT high oil consumption in summer hot temp commute driving...that 4.6 may go another 200k and use no more oil than that

worry when you get to below 1000 miles per qt in cool temps

find a quality 0w40 or 5w40 that fits your price point locally for summer use....the Rotella is good, or one of the SUV oils
use a quality on sale 0w30 for fall/winter/spring

Mobil 1, Amsoil or Redline may not be justified price wise unless you plan on keeping it and going for 400k and you don't like getting greasy as often
most full PAO Ester synthetics are not as volatile as dino fat based oils...lowers oil loss

time for a ring pack cleaning with Seafoam or ARX?

check the PCV system and change the PCV...valve may have developed a leak or string is weakened

quote:

Originally posted by lt1man:
use a 15W40.

[ September 17, 2006, 05:39 AM: Message edited by: Steelhead ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back