Oil weight and OCI for 2017 Toyota Camry XSE 2.5l

Just bought this in May 2021 w/49000 mi now have 54000 mi. Commute to work 9 mi each way across a central Kansas town. And weekly highway 80 mi round trip. After purchase had Toyota dlr service with Toyota 0W 20 oil and OEM filter. Should I stick with OEM products and 5000 oci ?

We use Mobil 1 0W-20 in our 2017 Camry mostly. Last time we used Castrol cause we couldn’t find Mobil 1 and we pair it with a Mobil 1 or Genuine Toyota filter and drain plug gasket. And we do 5000 intervals.

Toyota calls for 10k intervals with 0w20 in the 2AR-FE, assuming normal service. Their TGMO 0w20 is likely good oil but probably nothing crazy.
I follow their recommendation, using M1 EP 0W20 for a "cushion" since that oil is warrantied for 20k. It's still under 30 bucks at Walmart. The Toyota filters seem solid as well, so that's all I've used.

I’d probably stick with 5,000 mile intervals and any synthetic you can get that’s on sale or at Walmart. I know Toyota recommends 10,000 mile intervals under “normal driving conditions”, but it’s tough for some of us to meet those conditions. And I’ve found OE filters are readily available on Amazon and Walmart (in stores), and they’re priced very reasonably. Regarding the interval, do what you want...maybe a happy medium would be 7,500?

Thank You for all the replies. I believe I will continue with all Toyota brand products. And 5000 OCI. Really liking this car, average MPG since I purchased in May is 32.4. And have made a few 50 mi. trips getting 38-39. rides smooth and quiet. A little stiff with the XSE option but handles very well.

Thank You for all the replies. I believe I will continue with all Toyota brand products. And 5000 OCI. Really liking this car, average MPG since I purchased in May is 32.4. And have made a few 50 mi. trips getting 38-39. rides smooth and quiet. A little stiff with the XSE option but handles very well.
Sweet ride, luved my 2006 Camry XLE. Was heartbroken when totaled in 2015.

That's good fuel economy considering the 6 spd auto and if you're not just trusting the cars computer for MPG.
My CVT Altima is similar but should be even better IMO. I calculate MPG readings after filling up and my hard reading are 2-3 MPG lower than what the car says.

Just bought this in May 2021 w/49000 mi now have 54000 mi. Commute to work 9 mi each way across a central Kansas town. And weekly highway 80 mi round trip. After purchase had Toyota dlr service with Toyota 0W 20 oil and OEM filter. Should I stick with OEM products and 5000 oci ?
If Toyota is good with 10k oci's then so should you. OEM's are generally conservative with their recommendations, they're not going to take unnecessary risks. 5w30 Mobil 1 EP for 10k would also be good.

I am a fan of the (with certain MFGs) 10,000 mile OCI especially with modern engines and lubracants. However, I just don't think that everyone should be doing 10K OCIs under every circumstance.

*Who can do them? Those who travel on the highway or rural country roads often where little stopping/starting and/or shutting off the engine is being done.
*Who shouldn't be doing them? Those who do lots of city and/or around town type of driving and lots of stop & go and engine shut off & start ups are done.

We fall somewhere in between. I like ~6K-7K mile OCIs (but, I may only go 5K) for our driving style/climate & travel. And I know(for ourselves) what type of driving we did per each OCI whether it was more 'round town or more hiwy and I'll do the OCI based on that.

xw30 mobil1 12mo/10k oci and toyotas are a good pairing. my mom’s 2006 highlander and my 2004 corolla enjoyed this treatment for many years. if xw20 i might think more on it.

Back