Oil Warranties

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in a SHOP to get some new tires today. The manager called me back to his desk to fill out some warranty information. He left me there by myself for a while, and I saw something I thought was interesting.
wink.gif
It was a dealer sheet from, lets just say a well known oil company that gives warranties if you use their oils.
whistle.gif
It was telling the dealer how to advertise the warranty. It spelled out it would clearly show the need to trade up. It would greatly increase the sales of premium oils. It would create a more loyal customer base. It also said a lot of other stuff, but I thought y'all would appreciate this.
smirk2.gif

That is 1950's style upsale you still see it in automotive sales too! Not to be confused with the term "ups" on a car lot.

If they put their customer first they would lose sales dollars because of how much less often they would be coming in for things like oil changes. On top of that when they have you in their changing the oil they also have a chance to sell you other stuff at a car lot they will try to get you into the show room during an oil change to see if they can sell you a new car. The other guys are trying to get you to by wiper blades air filter and everything else! A lot of money is at stake if they put their customer first. They in their industry cannot make up for the lost $$$$$$ by doing what is right so they keep the same old 1950's sales tactics going. If they offered you a product like Amsoil does and raised their prices to account for say a 25,000 mile oil change ost people would look at them like they just smoked crack and would drive to another place to get their oil changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back