Oil Wapatuli Analysis ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my question. I'll be doing an oil change coming up and will be switching to a PC Racing reuseable oil filter, similar to the K&P Engineering filter. I'll also be using the left over new bottles of oil I have accumulated over time. It'll be a mix of 1.5 qts NAPA 15w-50 full syn, 1 qt Honda 20w-50 dino and 1 qt Valvoline 50w VR1. Just fine for my 09 H-D but still a mix. Would it pay to get a UOA with this mix? I really like to see how the filter works? ....

If you are doing the UOA to see how the filter works, you basically have to get a particle analysis done, and the oil shouldn't matter. What do you normally use for lube? it may be better to go ahead and try to make your operating conditions as "normal" for you as possible. You are paying for the UOA you might as well tailor the test for you.

Do NOT use insolubles to determine filtration, spend the extra $10 on the particle count.

The PC Racing filter only filters down to 35 microns. It is the particles below this level (i.e., 0-25 microns) that are responsible for most bearing and ring wear. Current premium oil filters will remove 70% or more of particles above 5 microns and provide significantly improved wear rates as compared to a 35 micron filter.

The idea of a really effective reusable filter is like perpetual motion. It doesn't exist.

Originally Posted By: OldCowboy

The idea of a really effective reusable filter is like perpetual motion. It doesn't exist.

An oil centrifuge?

Charlie

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
If you are doing the UOA to see how the filter works, you basically have to get a particle analysis done, and the oil shouldn't matter. What do you normally use for lube? it may be better to go ahead and try to make your operating conditions as "normal" for you as possible. You are paying for the UOA you might as well tailor the test for you.

Do NOT use insolubles to determine filtration, spend the extra $10 on the particle count.

The oil mix is going to be used on a 2500 mile trip. The next change will be all Valvoline 20w-50 VR1. I'll do the UOA on that oil with my normal, everyday kind of riding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back