Oil Visual Inspection

the look of my oil after 2K miles; 0W-20 Mobil 1; cars @62K miles currently

what do you think guys?

IMG_0025.jpeg

IMG_0028.jpeg
IMG_0030.jpeg

Looks fine to me...

What motor is that from ?

In a port injected motor this is a expected finding.

In a port injected motor oil that was black after 1500 to 2000 miles would not be a normal finding.

I had that happen to my lady's 98 Camry... That car had severely short tripped for years prior to us getting it. And it likely hardly ever got to full operation temperature. I had checked the iil in that first 1500 miles and it was clear amber color at first and slowly had gotten a touch darker by 1000 miles Then at about 1500 miles and all the sudden the oil was black and had chunks of black in the oil. . Not a expected finding. Only thing I could hypothesize was enough heat cycles had been put on the motor and all of that black crud in the motor finally broke free and got off all the motor internal parts and got into that oil. That was a bit freaky. It only happened that one time. Though it was actually a good thing that happened because it meant that the motor had been cleaned off inside to a good degree.

In a GDI or diesel motor oil color is meaningless because of the soot introduced so quickly.

On a more serious question to the Critic, how are you liking the HPL oil that you are now using?
I guess asking daily updates is probably going a bit overboard?
Maybe I'll do a UOA in 12-18 months. That's the best answer I can give you.

Iron wear looks a little high. :rolleyes:

It was for sure in jest. I did look to see the post count here. Thousands of posts and a color question on a paper towel will get me there. No offense intended on a personal level....BUT! I'd expect the same if I did that.

Back