Oil viscosity and the South West.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I am old fashioned, but it makes we nervous to use a 5W30 oil in Southern Colorado and the Southwest when temperatures in the summertime reach 100 or more (easily 120 in Arizona and Nevada). I like to use a 10W30 in the summer, or the thickest oil allowed in the owner's manual. I have a Saturn SL2 and the thickest oil allowed is 10W30, but 5W30 is preferred. I know a woman who bought a new Honda Civic and the preferred oil is 5W20. That just seems too thin for me unless it is synthetic. What do you guys think?

Also, what do you guys think about using a 10W30 Mobil 1 in the wintertime? Will it still flow as good as a 5W30 conventional oil?

A friend of mine used to work as a professional mechanic and he told me he uses Mystik oil. My Dad (when he was alive) liked Mystik also as well as some other men who were mechanics or involved in oil distribution.How does Mystik compare with Castrol, Chevron, and other oils that you guys have tested?

You could use 10W-30 Mobil 1 all year around. I have used 10W-30 Mobil 1 for many years in Pa. We have had a couple of -15F days in the last 10 years and the 10W was just fine. I have Rotella 5W-40 (synthetic) in my Truck and Mobil Delvac 1 (5W-40) in my daughter-in-law's car now
smile.gif

Based on my 25 years of experience with synthetic lubes, you can run a 0w-30/5w-30/10w-30 interchangably. There might be some minor differences in oil consumption or shearing, but the wear rates are going to be extremely close.

You could run Mobil 1, 10w-30 or the Amsoil 10w-30 year round in Alaska and they'd be fine.

TooSlick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back