Oil used based on marketing, before BITOG

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Bootlegger:
How many members based their choice of oil on marketing before finding BITOG?? Examples---Arnie Palmer w/Pennz or one oil bottle looks "COOLER" than another.....

I'll confess to using QS for a while when they had that campaign where they'd guarantee your engine if you used QS.

Mikep

I was sucked in by Valvoline MaxLife's cool-looking bottles and labels. Their wording on the labels was very persuasive at the time. I think it was probably the first "high mileage" oil on the market (at least the first I noticed) and so subconsciously I felt all the others were wannabes.

Due to BITOG, I now know better.

quote:

How many members based their choice of oil on marketing before finding BITOG?? Examples---Arnie Palmer w/Pennz or one oil bottle looks "COOLER" than another.....

Choice of Oil is too important an issue to be decided by Bullsh*t PR (public relations) double-talk. For me, only the advice of people I know and trust is good enough. And without an exception, throughout my series production racing years, the one name that kept coming up was....Castrol. Yup, good old Castrol dinosaur oil.

But of course, time goes on, and so does technology. That's why I have 24 quarts of Schaeffer Supreme Syn-Blend 7000 on standby, waiting for my Auto-Rx cycle to finish.

I used Castrol GTX 10w30 for about 85K because that is what my mechanic suggested. Then...
mad.gif
I got baited by Valvoline
mad.gif
and used that until I found this board last year and switched to Mobil1 10w30
smile.gif

I was using Valvoline Durablend because it said it out performed all conventional oils.
rolleyes.gif
I now use M1 10w30.
smile.gif

Guilty as charged! Hang him! I believed the Castrol Syntec ads and used it. Of course I still believe in the Easter Bunny and Santa!
grin.gif

Whimsey

I wonder how much Pennzoil is sold just because the bright yellow bottles stand out on the shelf? I reach for the pretty blue Chevron containers.

I guess I've been a bit disapointed that my longtime favorite Kendall isn't what it used to be, little more than a Conoco/Phillips label now, and the UOA's don't seem to fair well. I've used Kendall for around 20 years now, more based on its excellent reputation at the dragstrip than company advertising. The SAE 40 is still the old green color (unlike the multi's) and I'm still using that stuff, although I don't know how closely it resembles what their reputaion was built on. I am just as surprised at how good an oil the garden variety Chevron is. I've used Chevron quite a bit for daily drivers, but only because of the low price.

quote:

Arnie Palmer w/Pennz or one oil bottle looks "COOLER" than another.....

SuperTech Wal Martzoil........marketing???

BAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH.......

My answer is no.........unless putting your oil in the most unattractive packaging is seen as a marketing technique.......
grin.gif

Went through alot of whatever was onsale that weekend, Havoline, Valvoline, Castrol, QS, Pennzoil.
Now the old vehicle gets whats on sale and MY new truck gets M1.
wink.gif

Infact Valv Maxlife is goin into the old vehicle this weekend cuz it was FREE!!
grin.gif
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Jimbo:
I wonder how much Pennzoil is sold just because the bright yellow bottles stand out on the shelf? I reach for the pretty blue Chevron containers.

Yeah, but I have to say that the REAL German Castrol bolltes LOOK COOL.
I dig their design, and would like to have a couple, to fill from my bulk containers, just to try out...
The colors of that new RS 10-60 looks cool too.

I used Castrol back in the 80 becasue I had heard of a test that it come out on top in. Since it was not as available I fell into the Valvoline marketing pitch where mechanics use Valvoline.

Now I have taken notice of what stores carry Chevron Surpreme.

hmmm before my nice car I had a beater, which got fed maxlife once, lots of coastal, shell, and anything else i could find lol.

when i got my nice car I immediatly started using M1 (before BITOG) just because i wanted the best.

quote:

I admit I bought into the marketing of Synthetic oils being superior. This was bolstered by early usenet articles and FAQs on oils (back in the days when we had "bangs" in our e-mail addresses - anyone remember those?).

There was a Motorcycle Consumer News article ~7 years ago that went into a comparison of motorcycle vs. "automotive" oils, and revealed that not only were "automotive" oils equal or better, but in a ranking of oils, a conventional oil, Castrol GTX, came out #3 behind Amsoil and Mobil 1 synthetics. That opened my mind to the possibility that conventional oils could be as good or better. Of course, the study was flawed in that the only criteria was viscosity retention. We know from this board there's so much more to an oil's performance than viscosity retention.

Now, with BITOG, I've learned that not all synthetics are real synthetics, and that some semi-synthetics have more "synthetic" oil that those claiming to be full synthetic.

Makes me wish I could have taken a tribology class back in college. Had they offered one, I would have taken it.

FWIW, I used to be a member of the SAE, but found less information from them (even within the fuels and lubricants group) than is here.

BITOG rocks!
- Arved

quote:

Originally posted by Whimsey:
Guilty as charged! Hang him! I believed the Castrol Syntec ads and used it. Of course I still believe in the Easter Bunny and Santa!
grin.gif

Whimsey

Don't you mean the Ester Bunny and Syntec Claus?

grin.gif

cool.gif
For years I used Valvoline, changed every 3000, without a problem mostly because I believe in buying local and they have a packaging and distribution center in my town. I still use it in my old van, switching between Max Life and regular each change. My new Ranger I thought would be better off with Mobil 1 since it's an OHC engine. Frankly I'd buy Valvoline synthetic but I can never find it in 5w-30, Wally-World is always out.

I used Syntec 5w-50, my reasoning was that "if the oil can perform at 5w AND 50 it MUST be good". Also used Motorcraft oils. 1 out of 2 isnt' bad, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back