oil type for hyundai elantra

wife got a 2021 hyundai elantra limited 2.0L. manual & oil cap calls for 5w20 and suggests shell/quaker state oils. i dont have a problem using those but would it cause any problems if i used 5w30 instead of 20? im not really concerned if the mpg drops some. im more concerned about engine protection as i think the 30 would provide a tad more.

5W30 shouldn't be a problem, for years Hyundai has said it's okay to run heavier oil even up to 20w-50 in almost all their engine on their internal service bulletins so long as the w rating was appropriate to the climate the car is being used in, I guess more recently the government has came down on them or something and for the last few model years they've only been publishing one permissible grade in the owners manual to appease the NHTSA since they likely use that grade for fuel economy testing and premising a higher grade in the manual sort is like cheating to raise your CAFE numbers.

Last edited:
wife got a 2021 hyundai elantra limited 2.0L. manual & oil cap calls for 5w20 and suggests shell/quaker state oils. i dont have a problem using those but would it cause any problems if i used 5w30 instead of 20? im not really concerned if the mpg drops some. im more concerned about engine protection as i think the 30 would provide a tad more.
Hyundai and Kia engines will happily run on anything as long as it's oil. My Accent currently has M1 15w50 in it and I still get 35mpg on the highway. My suggestion is to use at minimum 5w-30 or thicker if it calls for it and then once it's out of warranty go as thick as possible based on startup temps.

assuming its a naturally aspirated engine most 5-30's would be good, typical fake synthetics are a good choice + 10-30 may be even better unless its real cold wherever you live. girlfriends 18 Kia Optima 2.4L naturally aspirated engine in Pa weather gets 10-30 fake synthetic Quaker State + changed on time 6 months or 5 thou as direct injected engines run dirtier + short tripping makes things worse

Hyundai and Kia engines will happily run on anything as long as it's oil. My Accent currently has M1 15w50 in it and I still get 35mpg on the highway. My suggestion is to use at minimum 5w-30 or thicker if it calls for it and then once it's out of warranty go as thick as possible based on startup temps.
This guy puts tons of miles on his accent with various oils, I'd trust his opinion.

A higher grade (higher HT/HS) provides a higher MOFT and by definition better protection for the engine. Wear is directly related to the HT/HS.

No engine is damaged or in any way harmed by an oil with a higher HT/HS. It prevents harm, not causes it.

My wife has a 2021 Kia Forte which is the same powertrain. Oil cap says 5w20 however the manual gives a chart with multiple options including 5w30. I think you'll be fine.

thanks guys for all your replies. upon further reading, the owners manual does have the option for 5w30 but recommends 5w20 for better fuel economy. ill be going with 5w30. ill use the hyundai/kia oem oil filter and as hyundai suggests ill use the full synthetic quaker state oil for now, with oci every 6 months since mileage will be lower than average.

We just bought a 2019 Hyundai Tucson last month (33,000 miles.) Dealer had done the last maintenance interval and used Quaker State 5W-20 and an OEM filter. I am in South Carolina and my wife does a lot of summer driving back and forth to her Moms (Florida.) I will probably go to a 5W-30 in that engine next OCI.

Both my Kias call for 5w-20 and both get steady diet of 5w-30 while Forte is running on 10w-30 since last OC. I tried 0w-40 in both and didn't like how the engines were getting much hotter and acceleration suffered a slight tad too.

Both my Kias call for 5w-20 and both get steady diet of 5w-30 while Forte is running on 10w-30 since last OC. I tried 0w-40 in both and didn't like how the engines were getting much hotter and acceleration suffered a slight tad too.
Probably placebo, QS 5w-30 is 11cst and has an HTHS of 3.2, M1 0w-40 is 12.9cst, 3.5 HTHS, hardly a difference. Kia/Hyundai engines run hot no matter what oil you use, between 230-270 oil temperatures.

Back