Oil too heavy of a weight? Blown seals?

When I first joined this website, I too was afraid of 0w oils. 🤷‍♂️ Now I use 0w40 in everything.

I wouldn’t be afraid of a xxw50 oil. Run it worry free.

Her Volvo has a sophisticated crankcase breather system. If it’s neglected, it can clog and create positive pressure and push the oil seals out.

Perhaps something like that can cause a leak. I know a more common worn PCV system issue is just oil consumption.

Yep. Wore the uniform shirt of the technicians that worked there. Was getting oil for a customer (they just got it off the shelf in the retail section).

People who work on cars and get paid for it are, in fact, mechanics.

Whether or not they know anything about cars or not, whether they understand, or have training, they are still considered mechanics...

I disagree. A technician reads a computer and replaces whatever the screen says.

A mechanic knows how to diagnose and repair a problem.

Just my opinion.

I disagree. A technician reads a computer and replaces whatever the screen says.

A mechanic knows how to diagnose and repair a problem.

Just my opinion.
I worked with a mechanic who was at least 40+ years on the job. He had years + more experience than lots of us. After he was laughed at and made fun of over a few of his techniques, he proved a point. This man could take a thin piece of wood, a dowel or pencils to a pump row. He would come back and tell you what bearings were fine and which ones are questionable or possibly going to fail in a pump gear housing. He would listen and feel with that pencil / wood item. We would come behind him with the vibration analyzer and sure enough, 99% of the time he was correct.
What does this mean? I guess that some (what I call) really devoted mechanics / technicians, or whatever we call them can and do at times figure out some little techniques to perform at high levels in their work. This man could also align the smallest or largest motor to machine with straight edge and tape measure and get them almost perfect when compared / checked after with the laser alignment kits. That is not high magic or anything but just a person who was dedicated to learn and perform at a high rate of capability that is almost frowned upon today in many places.
I never looked at it as him showing off. It was encouraging to know there was someone who could not be stopped in getting a job done. Some would look for reasons to stop a job where he would do all to complete one. PRIDE? or Proud? I was proud to work with him.
Sorry - not a thing to do with the dreaded thick or thin. Just opinion of good vs ok performance from folks we pay to do work for us.

Last edited:
Why did he add the lucas? the seal was maybe already leaking?
He added the Lucas because like a lot of people he thinks more must be better. IIRC, he read or heard that it didn't matter if the sump was over filled. He said there was no leak prior to the addition of Lucas. Personally I would never overfill intentionally, not even a few ounces.

I have seen Lucas poured into a working lawnmower. Mower then started, followed by BLAM! Blown to bits. Last year a young fellow I know who just rebuilt the engine in an older Carrola that he had run for a month decided to put a bottle of Lucas "treatment" in his oil. I advised him not to. About a week later he informed me he was without a vehicle again. Couldn't say what occurred inside but he said he pulled out on to highway and pushed it up to about 50mph and BLAM! internal explosion and no more Corolla. Oh well. I really lucked out as I had used that stuff years ago before I learned better. Can't say about all their products but to me there is ZERO oil additives needed in modern oils we now have.

I have seen Lucas poured into a working lawnmower. Mower then started, followed by BLAM! Blown to bits. Last year a young fellow I know who just rebuilt the engine in an older Carrola that he had run for a month decided to put a bottle of Lucas "treatment" in his oil. I advised him not to. About a week later he informed me he was without a vehicle again. Couldn't say what occurred inside but he said he pulled out on to highway and pushed it up to about 50mph and BLAM! internal explosion and no more Corolla. Oh well. I really lucked out as I had used that stuff years ago before I learned better. Can't say about all their products but to me there is ZERO oil additives needed in modern oils we now have.
I could not agree more. The "additives" discussion can get pretty heated. I just tell peopel to do what ever helps them sleep at night. I am one of those weird ones that doesn't use additives in my diesel truck....nothing. I have been given a hard time, told it's gonna blow the injectors, told the hpop was gonna self implode from scoring.....man I have heard it all. My last 7.3 had 335k on it, all original when I sold it. My current 7.3 has 397k on it, new injectors at 355k. It didn't need it, but the PO wanted new ones "just because". Whatever floats you man LOL....

To me, those would seem to be outlier cases, not the norm. I don't use the oil stabilizer anymore after I learned that all it seems to be is a VII that dilutes the oil and adds nothing but viscosity, and learned just how thick it can make the host oil. I still use it in my mom's Envoy just because it eats oil at a rate you wouldn't believe, and it does seem to help slow it, but that is a different matter. We don't currently have the funds to fix or replace it so it's just a stop-gap measure until we can. I used it in my van for 3-4 years and never saw a problem, even during the brutally cold polar vortex winters we have had here. Maybe I just got lucky, who knows.

All I run in all 3 of my generators, (600 Watt Honda, 2, 9,500 Watt Westinghouse's), is 15W-50 Mobil 1 Full Synthetic.

Granted all 3 are air cooled and splash oiled with no oil filtration system. But they crank over easy, and fire right up. In the Summer it gets hot here, and the 15W-50 is just about the perfect viscosity for that type of application. And in the cooler Winter weather, it doesn't get that thick.

Yep. Wore the uniform shirt of the technicians that worked there. Was getting oil for a customer (they just got it off the shelf in the retail section).

People who work on cars and get paid for it are, in fact, mechanics.

Whether or not they know anything about cars or not, whether they understand, or have training, they are still considered mechanics...
I worked with mechanics. I would say one or maybe two good out of ten.
Like Doctors.
Even ASE patched. I am so old I am NIASE :)

Need a few things: a decent memory, inquisitive nature, experience and the ability to think in a logical fashion. I might add it helps to be able to read and comprehend.

Last edited:
An ex co worker of mine said his Yaris engine with 30k miles blew a seal about two weeks after having added a bottle of Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer, which is of course pretty thick. So who knows. His dipstick level read full before the addition of the Lucas. Not saying that was the cause but he believes it is.
That is likely due to the crankcase volume reduction by adding a whole bottle to a full sump and the PCV being overwhelmed by pressure variations in the CC. Take and oil cap off and put you hand over the 710 hole - you'll see what I mean. The piston BOTTOM is dynamically changing the volume of the CC as it cycles.

Remember motor oil is hundreds or possibly thousand of cSt when cold starting and your are not regularly blowing seals across the Winter season. Hopefully

I worked with mechanics. I would say one or maybe two good out of ten.
Like Doctors.
Even ASE patched. I am so old I am NIASE :)

Need a few things: a decent memory, inquisitive nature, experience and the ability to think in a logical fashion. I might add it helps to be able to read and comprehend.
You are absolutely correct. Problem today is, critical thinking hasn't been taught in US schools for almost 40 years. That's one reason it's hard to find a good mechanic, Dr., or anything else. Medical schools teach medicine by spreadsheet. The good memorizers get better grades.

Back