Oil too good for API??

Status
Not open for further replies.
We use to stop in this one restaurant for coffee often. I would always get a slice of Banana Cream Pie and a Diet Pepsi. The waitress would just shake her head and laugh when I would say, I don't drink coffee, its bad for you..

[ May 22, 2003, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Okay so out of all those organizations (below) which one determined "Phosphorous content - .10% maximum" is a good spec? (I thought it was the API?)

And who is responsible for the bone-headed decision to add MTBE to gasoline and let it poison the drinking water? (I thought it was the EPA... but maybe you have an alternate idea?)

Troy

quote:

Originally posted by 68redlines73:

quote:

Originally posted by troy_heagy:
Just because the API says, "This is how it should be," doesn't make it right.

Oil classification is driven by the combined efforts of three organizations: ILSAC (International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee), JAMA (Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association) and AAM (Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers). The AAM is an association of nine OEMs (North America, Europe, and Japan) and as the former AAMA (American Automobile Manufacturers Association), developed in conjunction with JAMA the ILSAC GF-1/GF-2/GF-3 Passenger Car Motor Oil Specification. The above groups supply the heavy OEM influence on oil specs. The API, on the other hand, represents oil marketers, develops user language for engine oil categories and administers the Engine Oil Licensing and Certification System (EOLCS). The American Chemistry Council (formerly the Chemical Manufacturers Association or CMA) represents petroleum additive industry and developed the CMA code of practice which describes engine testing protocol to help ensure that a particular engine lubricant meets its intended performance. In addition, the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) assists in assessing technical needs of automotive industry and publishes information reports, recommended practices and standards. Finally, the ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials) is responsible for related testing techniques and test surveillance.

[ May 22, 2003, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: troy_heagy ]

quote:

And: Any synthetic is better than natural crapola. You spent $20-30,000 on a new car. Don't ruin your expensive purchase with cheap oil.

Saying that people will ruin their vehicles by using quality conventional oil doesn't do anything but shut people's ears to the legitimate reasons to run synthetic in some applications.

For most people, synthetic oil / regular analysis etc. are all about being into the science of it, and are a good pursuit in their own right, but don't kid yourself that chasing down those last 5 PPM of iron and lead is going to make a big difference in your life (or your car's life).

I stopped running Amsoil due to the bizarro cult aspect of using the product (I got accosted by a guy who wanted to tell me all about the filters I was already using). It's like I was waiting for the spaceship to arrive to pick us up or something...

Pass the cheesecake!

quote:

Why Some AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oils Are API Licensed And Some Are Not

1. Full API licensing puts AMSOIL INC. in an inflexible position. Not only would we find it necessary to buy formula components from specific vendors and be at the mercy of their pricing, we would not be able to make any major improvements to the lubricant formulas for 2 to 3 years, without new testing and the associated costs. (snip)

2. Full API licensing would impose strict phosphorous limitations on our motor oils. This limitation is the main reason most AMSOIL motor oils are not API licensed. AMSOIL INC. currently disagrees with this limitation and feels strongly that the reduced wear and longer oil and additive life achieved through higher levels of properly balanced phosphorous content is more important than the arbitrary API phosphorous limit that does not give any consideration to the NOACK volatility level of an oil. (snip)

Source: http://www.performanceoiltechnology.com/apilicensing.htm

As far as I'm concerned, Amsoil nullified any and all of their arguments against API licensing when they LICENSED their XL7500 line.

quote:

Okay so out of all those organizations (below) which one determined "Phosphorous content - .10% maximum" is a good spec? (I thought it was the API?)

The automobile OEMs who conduct the taxicab fleet tests to verify the level needed for the catalytic converters they install in the vehicles they produce to survive their respective warranty periods conduct the tests you mention.

quote:

As far as I'm concerned, Amsoil nullified any and all of their arguments against API licensing when they LICENSED their XL7500 line.

I agree.

offtopic.gif

MTBE was never mandated to be used in any gasoline. A certain percentage of oxygen (as in oxygenates) was mandated in gasoline in areas that had carbon monoxide pollution problems initialy. Then when reformulated gasoline (targeting Ozone pollution specifically) was required, federal law required it also be oxygenated.

MTBE was used to meet the oxygenate requirement because it was cheaper in most parts of the country to use it, it was a product of the petroleum industry anyways, and had the least impact on fuel economy because its energy content was the best of the oxygenates. It also required the least amount of changes to the gasoline refining process.

In the upper midwest, MTBE never got a foothold because ethanol was cheaper to use (partially because of tax breaks and subsidies - but thats another story).

Nowhere did the requirements specify that MTBE had to be used. Based on economics alone it was chosen in many parts of the country.

Ain't it the truth, Mike! I make it a point to buy and consume the highest grades of marbled beef and pork roasts. None of those sissy-stuff artificial sweeteners or coffee creamers for me either. I demand SUGAR and nature's wholesome pure heavy table cream. And, nothing caps a generous meal like a double slice of New York style cream cheeze pie. (Several bagels slathered thick with cream cheese is also a delightful TV snack on the sofa, too) I also don't cheap out on my bourbon, either, even if I do guzzle enough to black out for days at a time. Excuse me - gotta go rest now. Feelin' a little light-headed from all this typing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back