Oil to avoid?? May be a quick reference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ekpolk
Originally Posted by Samrsnow
This has to be the oldest thread I've ever seen resurrected in my life. 2003/2019....sheesh.

Definitely anything dollar general brand.

Exactly my thought!!! This thread is sixteen years old!!!
crazy2.gif
shocked2.gif

It did get me thinking, though. I remember back in those days, you could still find SA non-detergent oils fairly easily. I haven't seen them in a while, but I haven't been looking for them either. I hope that swill is fading away. Apparently, there were people who would unwittingly use the stuff, and then suffer the consequences. Ancient recipe SA oils, bad for your new Model-T are -- surprise surprise -- still horrible for your engine...

I saw it a few times. Usually some oddball practically house brand like "Coastal". I got curious and read the label, which only recommended using it for stuff like lubricating hinges. Also massive warnings that it wasn't suitable for vehicle engines except maybe some antique vehicles.

I also saw off-brand 10W-30 motor oil with an SF rating. I remember asking if it might be suitable for my Integra manual transmission since they recommended API SF or SG motor oil, even though SH was the standard when my car was new. I never figured that one out, although I suppose Honda later said that Honda MTF could be used in manual transmission where motor oil used to be specified.

Anything that has outdated specs and certifications if you drive something newer than that particular spec covered. Lots of dollar stores carry oil with certs for pre 1930's cars..

Realistically, if I need a ND 30, Castrol sells one. I don't need any oddball brand, since I can't trust them to meet an obsolete spec that really didn't exist in the first place and certainly won't be enforced. The majors, however, I would trust on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back